• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Dog leash suggestions

dakota port

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
178   0
Reaction score
A dog will be joining us soon and everyone I am around all the time with dogs never uses a leash. I’m getting a body harness for the dog but want a good leash till he becomes accustomed to me. All I need for the little guy is dog bed, leash and that cage thing, dogs need more equipment then humans

Would a 16 foot retractable or a 6 foot old style leash be best? Any brands better then others? It’s a miniature dachshund and he’ll be going in the woods

It depends on the dog, but I have become a fan of a high-vis 7 footer I got at Walmart. At night, car headlights light it up like a Chirstmas tree. Like Biker says, if you need to choke up the length, it's easy to do quickly - very quickly.

If it's a smaller dog, the retractables might do the job. With a dog like I have (50 pounds), I hate the retractables. I want sure control in short order, and for me, the rectractables do not meet that requirement. I can wrap slack around my hand almost immediately with a fixed length leash to get the length I need to control my dog if she spots a critter before I do.

Lilly weighs around 70 I guess and she has several leashes mostly an 8 footer with a choke chain is the go to one. Shorter ones are great when you gotta act fast

lillys turtle.jpeg
here is her turtle from today

Retractable leashes are good for smaller dogs, if the dog has any size or strenght a traditional leash makes controlling a dog easier. Pippa is just under 50lbs, strong as hell, and I have two. The everyday leash is six foot and it is very easy to take up the slack using two hands when needed. Second is a 30 foot lead for trail walking gives her plenty of room for exploring. Leather leashes stretch out in time so I suggest getting a fabric type leash.

Back
Top Bottom