• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Does no one play D&D anymore?

R-1.gif

Lets find a few more guys and start an ODT D&D game. Gay sex is mandatory and no women allowed.

I started playing in the late 70s when I was in jr. high, and played it through college. Recently my kids got interested through some friends of theirs, so I started running a game for them with some of their friends. Seems to be a decent way to connect with them.
I’ve heard a lot of similar stories. It’s crazy to think especially nowadays that a old rpg game could bring multiple generations together.

I started playing in the late 70s when I was in jr. high, and played it through college. Recently my kids got interested through some friends of theirs, so I started running a game for them with some of their friends. Seems to be a decent way to connect with them.

Same here. Played when the original game was published by TSR. By the 1980s, the rule books started to grow and get effing complicated, to the point where it felt like they had short-changed the creative license for the game master and the players.

I kept the original hardcover books and introduced my son and his cousins to it about 15 years ago. They still play now and then.

In its basic form, it's a great game. Teaches young people creative thinking, problem solving, how to work in groups.

OP, good luck finding a group to play in. They're out there.

I recently got back into it with a few coworkers after I got hired 5 or 6 years ago. Our group has evolved and split over the years and I even got my wife and her family in on it. Now we have a solid routine where after work we pick up a case of obscure beers and meet up every week.

My advice, play on discord. If you do manage to get a crew from ODT the likelihood that everyone will be in driving distance to meet up regularly is quite low. You will need a DM that is a very good storyteller to keep people's interest but it can be done. In fact, one of my favorite campaigns was over discord.

There is another website you can try, roll20.net , but I don't care for it. It provides interactive maps that you can move your characters around on which seems really helpful but it always ends up just slowing things down.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom