• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Does anyone have dentures.

I have tops I can eat most anything apples have to be cut up and carrots are tough to do. I only wear em to eat, I dont smile cause I hate everything
Ditto , had all mine popped out and dentures were ready to wear home. Nice tradeout for the pain and many visits. Ol lady likes me to leave em out on special occasions.

I had a hereditary gum disease and fought my teeth my entire life with everything a dentist could think of to keep me going. I finally had enought about 2 years ago and said take em all out, I'm tired of it.
Best decision i ever made about my teeth. Got dentures the same day and had to eat mashed potatoes and soup for a couple weeks. After that started eating what I could handle for a few more weeks. Went back after 6-8 months to get permanent ones and don't even think about them much anymore and can eat whatever I want. Steak, apples peanuts, popcorn, you name it.
If I didn't tell you I had them you'd never know it.
The hardest part for me was learning how to talk with them when I first got them.
If you think you need them don't hesitate about it.

Just curious if anyone has tips and pointers? What did you eat the first while? Did you lose a lot of weight? Will I ever be able to eat a steak again?
I had weak enamel and my teeth would chip & break. I had every tooth in my head pulled out at one time. Will be best thing you ever did.
I actually gained weight afterwords, bad teeth can & will poison your body.
I can eat ice , peanuts , steak ….anything without my teeth in.
After 3-4 days it isn’t so bad to eat softer stuff
Been so long without a toothache, I really don’t remember what one felt like

First 14 days will be rough, while soft tissue is healing. Next 2 months will be manageable but not pleasant as bone heals and remodels. As the bone heals, it atrophies. Without teeth, the jaw bone shrinks; over time you’ll need to have the plates relined to fit the jaws as the they shrink. A way to avoid bone loss and have more stable plates is to put a couple implants in each arch. The plate can literally snap onto these and do not move around, help maintain bone volume over the years and give you more confidence.
I also recommend getting a cheap backup set. Dentures break, sink, get lost, get eaten by pets, disappear, etc... (imagine being on vacation and your plate breaks or is eaten by the dog. A backup set allows for you to have teeth while your good set is repaired or newly made.
I’ve seen it all over 23 yrs.

I have tops only also and have had for many years. Top teeth would not hold fillings, bottom are mine, had a great dentist for years. I can honestly say I have never had to use anything to hold them and I can eat anything I want. You'd never know if I haven't told you as some have already said. Just be careful with caramel.:thumb:

My Dad has had an upper plate all my life. He eats whatever he wants. However the longer you have them the thinner your bone is since you don't have that extra support, your teeth, provide. I've also known people to eat steak with no teeth at all. You know in this day in age they can save a lot of teeth as well. I have no idea which is more cost effective. I also knew a guy that said he was sick till he got used to his new teeth. Good luck

Got full set upper and lowers about 6-7 years ago. Glue the top in and have 2 implants that hold the bottom. My Boston boy buddy ate my first set about 3 weeks into wearing them and had to gat another set made. After that little escapade I’m a little more carful. Eat anything I want pretty well. Like Biker said, carrots and apples are challenging but just cut them up small. It took me a long time to get use to them but it really was the best thing for me. My Dentist flat told me if I didn’t get my natural ones out I’d probably die from all the infection.

Back
Top Bottom