• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Do you shoot does if they have fawns with them?

Do you shoot does if they have fawns with them?

• Total voters
My parents live on a dead end road atleast 10 miles from town, mostly woods, and someone on the road been taking care of this deer because it just hangs out with their Great Pyrenees all day, just chilling in the yard.

Thor wants to eat her, and wouldn't have any problem putting her in the freezer myself but momma ain't having it :lol:

Shot a doe once that had two yearling fawns with her, they were small but didn't have spots. they wouldn't leave so I shot both of them to and made them into jerky. But I have never and would not ever shot a doe that had a fawn with spots. We have probably all orphaned a fawn at some point and didn't know it, does will leave their fawns hidden in brush( how would we know?)

I only shoot does. Bro's before does. I just think they taste better imo. You can argue herd control but you'd have dnr have unlimited doe days if that were true. Everything is a balance. While I tend to let smaller deer walk it is my choice. For every hunter like myself who lets them walk I'm sure there is an equal amount or less that do not. I will say there have been seasons where I let younger ones walk early in the season and for what ever reason didn't get to hunt much more that season and regretted it. I wouldn't judge someone for shooting a small deer but would if they took pride in it.
Why should someone not be proud of a small deer? If it puts meat on the table and was taken honestly its a trophy to be proud of.

Fawns make a good sandwich
How do they open the peanut butter jar with no thumbs?

I'm working on getting close enough to pet. I have 4 that hang around my yard. There are about 10 or 12 that run around in the area. None of them are big, and there are 2 little bucks. I feed them bread and nuts. I have a spot in my yard that I leave it for them. When I walk over there and put it out you'll see a head peer out from around the shed till I get back to the deck. They'll mossy over real slowly watching me the whole time then eat away staring at me. I can get to about 5 to 8 feet away before they'll run off.

How do they open the peanut butter jar with no thumbs?

I'm working on getting close enough to pet. I have 4 that hang around my yard. There are about 10 or 12 that run around in the area. None of them are big, and there are 2 little bucks. I feed them bread and nuts. I have a spot in my yard that I leave it for them. When I walk over there and put it out you'll see a head peer out from around the shed till I get back to the deck. They'll mossy over real slowly watching me the whole time then eat away staring at me. I can get to about 5 to 8 feet away before they'll run off.
One of my friends had one that he would let come inside his house and feed it grapes right out of the fridge. He could whistle and it would come running out of the woods

My parents live on a dead end road atleast 10 miles from town, mostly woods, and someone on the road been taking care of this deer because it just hangs out with their Great Pyrenees all day, just chilling in the yard.

Thor wants to eat her, and wouldn't have any problem putting her in the freezer myself but momma ain't having it :lol:

I'm from northern Illinois close to Wisconsin. The last house we lived in was surrounded by corn fields and there were deer all over. I was forbidden from shooting one of mom's pet's. She put all kinds of food out and had a zoo in the backyard. It was pretty cool eating breakfast and seeing hawks, deer, pheasants, raccoons.

If it’s early season, I’ll let them walk. I don’t shoot small deer. I’ll blast bigger does all day long. If they lost their spots they can take care of themselves at that point. I’ve also been letting small and mid sized bucks walk too. We really need to get better at deer management. There are so many big does running around that there’s no need to shoot little deer anymore.

if doe has button fawns, I will shoot the doe. That way the buttons will likely stick around. does will push their bucks off your land, and the bucks will find a new home. It’s natures way of keeping bucks from trying to mate within family group.

Back
Top Bottom