• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Do you shoot does if they have fawns with them?

Do you shoot does if they have fawns with them?

• Total voters
I only shoot does. Bro's before does. I just think they taste better imo. You can argue herd control but you'd have dnr have unlimited doe days if that were true. Everything is a balance. While I tend to let smaller deer walk it is my choice. For every hunter like myself who lets them walk I'm sure there is an equal amount or less that do not. I will say there have been seasons where I let younger ones walk early in the season and for what ever reason didn't get to hunt much more that season and regretted it. I wouldn't judge someone for shooting a small deer but would if they took pride in it.
You basically do have unlimited doe days. You are allowed to kill 12 deer total and only two of them can have horns. In many counties those two with horns have restrictions as to minimum inside spread or number of points. This is for no other reason than herd control. DNR would prefer you to kill more does. If you were to kill two thirds of all bucks, every doe would still get bread. Killing bucks does very little to control the deer population. That is why there are more restrictions on killing bucks than there are on killing does.

You basically do have unlimited doe days. You are allowed to kill 12 deer total and only two of them can have horns. In many counties those two with horns have restrictions as to minimum inside spread or number of points. This is for no other reason than herd control. DNR would prefer you to kill more does. If you were to kill two thirds of all bucks, every doe would still get bread. Killing bucks does very little to control the deer population. That is why there are more restrictions on killing bucks than there are on killing does.
While I do not argue your points, I was touching on someone else's point about herd control. DNR puts things like doe days or buck only days in place based on scientific numbers. It is geared toward doe control(not sure the ratio of male vs female offspring ) While most of us know we see way more does while hunting then bucks. Also, we all know if we had less males around we wouldn't have a problem spreading our seed either......

I dont anymore, no reason to. It would have to be a crappy season and nothing in the freezer for it to cross my mind.

Last one I didn't know a fawn was with her, joker stood there and watched me drag his mama out of the plot and load her up in the truck. Head turning looking at me while I drove off. I think I saw a little tear fall from his eyes.

I let my son shoot one with a fawn once and the fawn sat there bleating for its mama why she laid there. Went up to her...and I swear starting nudging her..then started feeding again around her dead body. I think it messed both of us up. I guess I'm becoming soft.

Attachments

• 16462.jpeg
    16462.jpeg
    196.8 KB · Views: 13
QDM is when a doe comes out with 2 behind her and you drop her an set still. They come back an you drop another one an set still . Last one comes back an its brown so its down . Gut em , load em up , drop 2 off at the processor ,take the littlest one home and do it up yourself ;) ...Fresh backstraps :hungry:
Then share with friends that cant hunt no more but love venison ;)

Back
Top Bottom