• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Do you shoot does if they have fawns with them?

Do you shoot does if they have fawns with them?

• Total voters
I think that a bit inhumane … Maybe even a sin, don’t you think?
The Bible even says something about “do not mess with a bird nest when it has the chicks in”…. :confused2: :confused2: :confused2: :noidea::noidea::nono::nono:
If a fawn is old enough to fend for itself then I see no problem with taking it for meat. The bible also says: kill and eat. Spotted fawns and their mothers are off limits in my opinion. It is a judgment call. If they are pretty good sized fawns then no problem killing them or their mothers. That is the only way you will ever control the population and it is extremely overpopulated.

"If a fawn is old enough to fend for itself then I see no problem with taking it for meat."

Fend for itself? That's asinine. When was the last time you saw a full grown deer, let alone a fawn with a high powered rifle. Besides, most of the hunters seems to me are in tree stands overlooking food patches, so (I 'll probably get a crap load of flak for this) it's almost like shooting fish in a barrel.

Try getting out there with a knife and a pointed stick and see how you do, I'll bet some of those fawns would kick your arse :boink:.

If you want to do what’s probably best , take the small one. An older doe will have twins or occasionally triplets but a first year breeding doe has one. Then you have more

Been hunting on my lease for the last 7 years and have never taken a doe. And when I did before that I always made it a rule to not take one after Thanksgiving, because the odds of taking one carrying a fetus go up considerably.

There's been a few times I thought today is your lucky day and I let them walk when they have a little one. I try not to take one less than 90lbs on the hoof

"If a fawn is old enough to fend for itself then I see no problem with taking it for meat."

Fend for itself? That's asinine. When was the last time you saw a full grown deer, let alone a fawn with a high powered rifle. Besides, most of the hunters seems to me are in tree stands overlooking food patches, so (I 'll probably get a crap load of flak for this) it's almost like shooting fish in a barrel.

Try getting out there with a knife and a pointed stick and see how you do, I'll bet some of those fawns would kick your arse :boink:.
So you are the great white hunter heh? I never said anything about defending itself against someone with a rifle. Fend for itself as in live without it's mother. Keep your personal attacks to yourself. I have family members who are long time wildlife biologist who specialize in the study of white tail deer. I base my statements on what they believe is best for the deer population overall.

Back
Top Bottom