• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Do the Casey Birchwood Cold Bluing kits stink? Or am I just dumb?

I followed the instructions given to me in the pamphlet to the best of my knowledge. Maybe, like a member here state, it has something to do with it being stainless steel. I don't really know how to differentiate, but I'm sure that there may be some metallurgical properties that are tripping me up.

I did go ahead and get some super blue, and that seems to work better on a test spot.

I'm going to go ahead an finish polishing it tonight, blue it tomorrow and post the results. If that comes out ok, I'll just leave good enough alone until it's time to refinish it again and then I'll go to a pro.

Thank you all for the suggestions/ advice.

Durablue is where it's at. It's like cerakote only it mimics blueing. Super durable

That's interesting. I've used DuraCoat on a couple of projects and it's been great to work with and really durable.

I always wondered how their faux-bluing looked in reality. I remember seeing a few sample chips when the NRA show was here in ATL, but I don't think they had a complete gun finished in it.

That's interesting. I've used DuraCoat on a couple of projects and it's been great to work with and really durable.

I always wondered how their faux-bluing looked in reality. I remember seeing a few sample chips when the NRA show was here in ATL, but I don't think they had a complete gun finished in it.

Stuff looks great. You will never get a super high Polish out of it, but it's still pretty good.

I just picked up a Remington 58 today that I will be doing that to soon.

Good to know. I'm not looking for a high polish shine from it, just something to help protect some old, beat up guns that looks like a decent hot-blue job.

Which 'flavors' have you tried?

They have Matte and 'Polished' in Blue, Black and Blue-Black listed on the site. To me the Blue-Black looks the most like real bluing but it's always hard to tell from a monitor screen.

A gun that size can easily be rust blued and boiled on your stove at home. Check into the process if you want. It will be the most durable “blue” finish you will get.

I've used it on several guns. I've noticed that some take the blue better than others. The ones that didn't darken up, ended up looking like a gun that had been used, but well taken care of. Others looked like new.
I found it worked better if I used hot water to rinse it. Afterwards I would spray heavily with oil and place the parts in a sealed container overnight.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Any recommendations for a true professional bluing outfit in ga?

Mill Creek Gun Works in Woodstock Ga.

upload_2021-6-7_8-43-14.png

Back
Top Bottom