• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Do the Casey Birchwood Cold Bluing kits stink? Or am I just dumb?

SuperMario92

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
63   4
Reaction score
So I'm trying to refinish a surplus CZ75 Compact. After spending forever and a day removing the 'polycoat' finish and another eternity removing the melanite finish underneath the polymer coating, I finally have something that (I think) is untreated steel. It needs a little more work to get a polished finish, but I'm not terribly worried about that.

My problem is that I've done some spot tests with a CB Cold Bluing kit and the finish is only barely darker than the steel. I've done multiple 'coats' and it doesn't really get much darker after the 2nd.

My question is this - has anyone had really dramatic results with one of these kits? Or are the results always going to be subtle? At least knowing that I can decide whether to keep troubleshooting or to move onto another process. (The test spot was the bottom of the trigger guard).
DSC_0478.JPG
DSC_0479.JPG

So I'm trying to refinish a surplus CZ75 Compact. After spending forever and a day removing the 'polycoat' finish and another eternity removing the melanite finish underneath the polymer coating, I finally have something that (I think) is untreated steel. It needs a little more work to get a polished finish, but I'm not terribly worried about that.

My problem is that I've done some spot tests with a CB Cold Bluing kit and the finish is only barely darker than the steel. I've done multiple 'coats' and it doesn't really get much darker after the 2nd.

My question is this - has anyone had really dramatic results with one of these kits? Or are the results always going to be subtle? At least knowing that I can decide whether to keep troubleshooting or to move onto another process. (The test spot was the bottom of the trigger guard).
View attachment 3230858 View attachment 3230859
Are you following the directions? The steps are critical to good results. Yes you can get a dark blue from them if you follow the steps exactly.

read up on rust bluing, easy to do at home with minimum investment. I watched a lot of these guys videos before trying it. I used a classic rust blue from brownells. For a pistol, you would just boil the parts after the rusting occurs. And not all steel is the same, same prefer different type of bluing.

Back
Top Bottom