• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Do AR lower springs/pins need replacement?

BigMike

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
230   0
Reaction score
I'm attempting to work a deal on an AR lower receiver that's a LE trade in unit and is well used. The recoil spring and buffer would get replaced regardless, but what about the others. Do they wear out? And no, the price of a lower parts kit won't make or break the deal, but I'd like to know for my own curiosity.

I had a disco spring go weak on one of my old hunting AR15 7.62x39 rifles. Took it to the range to check zero one day and it would double on recoil. After the second time (5 rd mag), we stopped for the day. Swapped out spring and no more issues. This gun has had more than a few cases of ammo down the pipe and was shot a lot. 500rd for $40 battle packs were the reason.:becky:

What if the buffer has a ring on it, one that matches the carrier? What does that mean?

A certain amount of that is normal. Debris get between the tail of the carrier, and the face of the buffers. These gritty debris will scratch up the face of the buffer.

Got pics?

A certain amount of that is normal. Debris get between the tail of the carrier, and the face of the buffers. These gritty debris will scratch up the face of the buffer.

Got pics?
I'll get one when I pull it down for cleaning tomorrow. It's very light but it's there. I figured it was from suppressed gunk getting on the buffer then getting sanded into place.

I'll get one when I pull it down for cleaning tomorrow. It's very light but it's there. I figured it was from suppressed gunk getting on the buffer then getting sanded into place.

Pretty much. If it’s what’s i’m picturing in my mind, it’s perfectly normal.

Back
Top Bottom