• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Do’s and Don’t’s for Basic Precision Rifle students

cmshoot

Marines Icon
Staff member
194   0
Reaction score
1. Don’t bring a rifle that you have never shot, whether it is new or used. If your used Ruger PR is missing an extractor, it will not function properly.

2. Do take your rifle apart and inspect it thoroughly, whether it’s new or used. Aren’t capable of that? Find or pay someone that is. I’ll do it for free. If the barreled action comes loose in the chassis because the factory didn’t tighten it down properly, your accuracy will suffer.

3. Don’t mount your brand new scope, on your used and never-fired rifle, in the parking lot of the range on the first morning of the class.

4. Don’t bring Mexican ball ammo. Your accuracy will suffer.......or, in this case, you will get more misfires than bangs.

5. Do know the basics of operating your scope. For instance, if you have to remove your scope turrets, then loosen 4 set screws, then zero the rifle using the “internal” markings without any clicks, that’s good info to know BEFORE you attempt to zero. I’m fairly knowledgeable, but I cannot be intimately familiar with every optic on the market. The owner’s manual is a good starting point.

6. If you have your barrel threaded and a brake installed right before the class, make sure that it was done correctly. When the “gunsmith” doesn’t tighten it down correctly, and/or use thread locker on it, and it comes loose, your accuracy will suffer.

7. Don’t have your scope rings attached to the base/rail finger-tight. Your accuracy will suffer.

8. If the Instructor asks if you know how to Zero your turrets, and you answer affirmatively, make sure that you actually know how to do it, and that you actually do it.

Semper Fi!

1. Don’t bring a rifle that you have never shot, whether it is new or used. If your used Ruger PR is missing an extractor, it will not function properly.

2. Do take your rifle apart and inspect it thoroughly, whether it’s new or used. Aren’t capable of that? Find or pay someone that is. I’ll do it for free. If the barreled action comes loose in the chassis because the factory didn’t tighten it down properly, your accuracy will suffer.

3. Don’t mount your brand new scope, on your used and never-fired rifle, in the parking lot of the range on the first morning of the class.

4. Don’t bring Mexican ball ammo. Your accuracy will suffer.......or, in this case, you will get more misfires than bangs.

5. Do know the basics of operating your scope. For instance, if you have to remove your scope turrets, then loosen 4 set screws, then zero the rifle using the “internal” markings without any clicks, that’s good info to know BEFORE you attempt to zero. I’m fairly knowledgeable, but I cannot be intimately familiar with every optic on the market. The owner’s manual is a good starting point.

6. If you have your barrel threaded and a brake installed right before the class, make sure that it was done correctly. When the “gunsmith” doesn’t tighten it down correctly, and/or use thread locker on it, and it comes loose, your accuracy will suffer.

7. Don’t have your scope rings attached to the base/rail finger-tight. Your accuracy will suffer.

8. If the Instructor asks if you know how to Zero your turrets, and you answer affirmatively, make sure that you actually know how to do it, and that you actually do it.

Semper Fi!

Mexcan ball ammo being Aguila ?

Back
Top Bottom