• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

DNR having meeting in Canton, GA

GAgunLAWbooklet

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
63   0
Reaction score
I saw in the local paper (Forsyth County News, 8/1/14 edition) that the DNR is going to have a public meeting in Canton, GA on the topics of

deer population management, season dates and bag limits, urban hunting issues, hunting methods, and education and outreach.

The date of the DNR meeting is August 19th and it's at 7 p.m. at the fire station at 1190 Evenflo Drive. The notice in the paper says people can submit comments to DNR by mail or electronically, too.

I may go or submit comments, or both.
I will suggest that now that HB 60 has made silencers / suppressors legal for hunting in Georgia, DNR should specifically designate some public lands in suburban areas on the outskirts of Atlanta as approved for silencer-fitted rifles. Actually, they should allow silencers on all public hunting lands under DNR's authority, BUT I don't think that suggestion would go over well with them. I suspect they want to consider specific WMAs on a case by case basis.

As for private land, the DNR doesn't need to approve anything. Silencers are legal if the landowner approves their use. But DNR could do an "education and outreach" program to make this new aspect of our laws better-known to both hunters and land owners. Maybe more land owners will open up their private lands for deer hunting if shooting a deer wasn't so noisy. Some of the land owners might have horses or cattle or other livestock that could be bothered by the noise.

Back
Top Bottom