• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

DIY only cerakote a rifle and optic projects?

bulletslinger101

Default rank <4000 posts Lifetime Supporter
ODT Junkie!
35   0
Reaction score
Has anybody successfully cerakoted a rifle stock optic as a DIY?

How’d you do it?

No pro jobs here please only respond with DIY.

I have a few rifle and optic combinations I will never let go. I was looking at trying this out...

Please share tips, tricks and information.

What do you think about the durability of the coating?

Thanks for checking this out. And show your piece.

Respectfully
Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cerakote sorta requires a more professional setup In my experience , media blasting, long cure times in low humidity, paint guns, and mixers . Brownells has some interesting aftermarket coating options you can buy in a aerosol can like spray paint and you can buy stencil packs online to do camo patterns if you fancy.

Now that being said I’ve rattlecanned guns for friends before that where “beater” guns and always found the key to be prep, degreasing, taping off areas , scuffing surfaces if need be for better adhesion, picking a good day to do it if outside , and lastly using a heat gun between coats unless you plan on baking in an oven or grill

Cerakote sorta requires a more professional setup In my experience , media blasting, long cure times in low humidity, paint guns, and mixers . Brownells has some interesting aftermarket coating options you can buy in a aerosol can like spray paint and you can buy stencil packs online to do camo patterns if you fancy.

Now that being said I’ve rattlecanned guns for friends before that where “beater” guns and always found the key to be prep, degreasing, taping off areas , scuffing surfaces if need be for better adhesion, picking a good day to do it if outside , and lastly using a heat gun between coats unless you plan on baking in an oven or grill

Heat gun between coats? Why would one need to do this?

Respectfully
Chris

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've done it years ago, not on optics though. The secret is in the prep. Don't skimp, don't rush through any step, and don't get your slimy fingers on anything. Truthfully, there is no reason not to pay a cerakote applicator. It's not worth the savings to do it yourself. I'm a diy guy, love doing stuff myself, but cerakote is a PITA.

226 OD.jpg
Midway USA has Alumahide II, Ihave done several pistols and rifles with it.
Durable results, 4 years in so far. Prep is king, de grease, and thin coats with a 160 degree 24 hour session in between. 3 thin coats.

Heat gun between coats? Why would one need to do this?

Respectfully
Chris

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Just seems to help the curing process I can’t quantitatively say it’s true. My guess is that it probably helps overcome the humidity granted I’m in the southeast part of the state so that’s a concern for me and my “shop space” isn’t climate controlled. As for what the other poster said about “ non heat curing cerakote” that’s marketing hype for duracoat with a new name so you can save yourself some coin

good luck with the project and post pics when it’s done

Back
Top Bottom