• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

DIY Elk Hunters

A lot of miss info, if you go to mountains hunt the rivers in morn like around two hours before daylight with autos and when you see elk,, pull over and pursue, locals do not hunt till the elk migrate. Do not go over a steep ridge as you will play hell getting him or her back. Been there several times and unless you have a guide or horses you should road hunt.

My dad goes out every couple years, I would recommend a guide with equipment. Diy may save money, but it’s also a large waste to go out and get nothing. Also If you do get one, it’s a lot of weight to get out and you sure don’t want to carry it on your back

Also, 2-3 giant coolers. Don’t want the meat to spoil on the drive home. We were eating elk for what felt like forever

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been 5 times to Colorado and once to Montana. Got two decent bulls. We were on foot all times. If a for sure thing is what you are after then a guide if a great experience of hunting on your own and a chance then i would always go like you are talking. Altitude is very tough even in shape. Good gear is your friend. Practice for long shots ( I used 338) because I might only get one shot and wanted it to count. Packing one out is very hard. It will get cold if you are high. We hunted 9000 and higher. You will not regret it. Brush up on first aid. Wish you the best

Been 5 times to Colorado and once to Montana. Got two decent bulls. We were on foot all times. If a for sure thing is what you are after then a guide if a great experience of hunting on your own and a chance then i would always go like you are talking. Altitude is very tough even in shape. Good gear is your friend. Practice for long shots ( I used 338) because I might only get one shot and wanted it to count. Packing one out is very hard. It will get cold if you are high. We hunted 9000 and higher. You will not regret it. Brush up on first aid. Wish you the best
I want to go with a bow.. which I know makes it 10 times harder but it's something I personally want to do. I have been putting in for preference points and wish I had started doing that 10 years ago. I may wait and try and get drawn for a higher unit hunt in Wyoming once I hit 6 or 7 points. I have three right now

I want to go with a bow.. which I know makes it 10 times harder but it's something I personally want to do. I have been putting in for preference points and wish I had started doing that 10 years ago. I may wait and try and get drawn for a higher unit hunt in Wyoming once I hit 6 or 7 points. I have three right now
Yes that’s going to make it much more difficult, maybe you can make it during the rut so you can do some calling

Me and 2 buddies are saving up points for a Wyoming archery hunt. We have 3 right now will buy another this summer. Hope to get drawn next yr. We will be doing an archery hunt with a guide near Casper mountain. We aren’t chasing monsters just want a decent elk. I think 3 or 4is the magic number in the section we are hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me and 2 buddies are saving up points for a Wyoming archery hunt. We have 3 right now will buy another this summer. Hope to get drawn next yr. We will be doing an archery hunt with a guide near Casper mountain. We aren’t chasing monsters just want a decent elk. I think 3 or 4is the magic number in the section we are hunting.

We may see y'all out there. I'm saving for area south of casper. I was told 5 was the magic number with 7 being a guarantee almost. We shall see

My brother hunts Idaho and Washington. Be prepared to walk. Altitude is no joke. break in your boots now. He uses a .338 RUM that weighs 16 pounds and practices out to 1,000 yards often. Let someone know where you are going and when you will be back. If it gets dark park yourself and make a fire

1) Do not skimp on optics! Get the best binos you can possibly afford.
2) Do not buy boots locally. No one in ATL carries boots suitable for mountain hunting. Kennetrek, Crispi, Meindl, etc. Break them in (25+ miles) before leaving.
3) Do not skimp on training. 1st three months train normally, 2nd three while breathing through a straw, last three breathing through a coffee stirrer and you will be ready!
Have a blast!

Back
Top Bottom