• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Dillon 550 question

I would recomend using a single stage press while you are learning. There are certain things you should be looking for that you may miss in a progressive press.

I actually bought my 550b first and then went and bought a single stage for the resizing step on rifle calibers. Use the 550b entirely for the pistol rounds but the Lee Challenger for resizing all bottle necked rounds that require lubing. Decided to do this after I got 2 .223 brass stuck in the dies in my Dillon. Haven't had any stuck issues since.

You just lucked into one of the finest presses on the market when you got the Dillon 550. If the bidding hadn't gotten up to $250, I'd have made an offer myself.

The 550B is what I use and no it's not too advanced for a beginner because you can use it like a single stage press, but have all of the stations pre-set . Once you have all of the stations set up according to the instructions that come with the dies (and the Dillon manual which you can find online in PDF form if you don't have it), you can do all of your priming and sizing in the first stage and set them aside. Next you can put the primed and sized cartridge into the powder dispenser, case mouth expander stage and do all of those. Then you can do all of your bullet seating and/or crimping (if done with a single die) at that stage. You can do all of the crimping in the forth stage if you have a separate crimping die. That's just like you would do it in a single stage press, without all the hassle of having to set up each stage individually the way you would with a single stage press. Once you get everything working and get some experience you can just turn the turret for each stage using a single case and bullet all the way around. Once you've mastered that you can use it with compenents in each stage and you're reloading like the wind.

Now for the beginner's caveat: Before you do any of that, make sure you get at least one (more is better) reloading manual and read it. Not the load data, but the part that tells you about reloading. I recommend Lyman #49 as a good place to start, but there are many others. Before you ever buy powder, bullets, primers (if you could find some) or cases -- read, read, and read some more, then watch reloading (check out Hickok45) videos on you tube, then read some more. You are about to build explosive devices that are to be detonated in close proximity to your head, face and hands. Keep them in the original configuration.

I actually bought my 550b first and then went and bought a single stage for the resizing step on rifle calibers. Use the 550b entirely for the pistol rounds but the Lee Challenger for resizing all bottle necked rounds that require lubing. Decided to do this after I got 2 .223 brass stuck in the dies in my Dillon. Haven't had any stuck issues since.

Try Imperial Sizing Wax and you won't have that problem.

Back
Top Bottom