• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Dillon 1050

gyppo

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
NRA Instructor
173   0
Reaction score
Friends
I recently found a great deal here on ODT where I bought 2 Dillon 1050s. I did get a great deal but it was not as good as it first appeared. There were a few missing pieces and it had not been used in about 20 years. (From a guess based on the dates from the corroded batteries in the alarms.
I have refinished both presses and accessories. I have learned a lot about 1050s but I am sure there is more to learn.
I will add a few facts I have learned.
1 Evaporust is great stuff but can take 12 hours to convert heavily rusted alloys.
2 unless a 1050 family press has been exposed to a corrosive atmosphere, it can be put back in service.
3. Other Dillon presses. 450,550 and 650s are not in the same category as a 1050. ( I used a 650 for about 10 years)
4. Dillon does not warranty the 1050 forever but I see no need for a long warranty. It is built so strong that I do not see how you can break it without doing something wrong.

I was told by Dillon that the frames on the very early presses were nickel plated. This was stopped because of the expense and later there were issues with it flaking off.
Dillon also said that the RL 1050 frames came painted but my frames were rusty and did not appear to have paint on them.
I stripped the frames with Evaporust and painted them with Krylon using Krylon primer.
So far I am not happy with the Krylon. It is not as hard as I would like. It may harden up over a few weeks. All of the parts that attach to the frame have a gun blue type finish. I painted these parts and I like it much better than the blue finish.
The RL1050 has a lower unit that has a crankshaft type elliptical system to push the ram instead of linkages which are found in the Super RL1050. The Super has a longer stroke of the ram which is not optimized for short pistol cartridges.
There were two differences on my presses. The large bearings on the lower units come in 2 designs, 73 dowel pins that must be dropped in, one at a time and a captured roller bearing. Both of the bearings had gun powder in the bearings. After cleaning they seem to have no wear issues.
My presses have different designs in the swage rod area. This is hard to describe but the method of centering the swage rod is near the base of the cartridge on one press and at the hexagonal section of the swage rod on the other press.

KRYLON, makes a heat spray paint that will dry with a good hard exterior, it's basically a heat paint that is used to repaint BBQ grills, not sure if it comes in blue, auto parts store usually have engine paints which are heat resistant, that's two avenues to consider...

good luck on your quest to paint your press with a good color and heat resistant paint...

Cerakote air dry if you have a blaster and air gun.. Spray can, Brownells Aluma Hyde.. it an epoxy based paint..trick is to leave it for 2 weeks after you paint with it.

Back
Top Bottom