• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Dig 9 holes, concrete those holes, carry some lumber.. Boom. You're $200 richer.

I would upgrade to the red bags of quick concrete that you just dump in and add water. No mixing necessary. It’s designed for putting stuff in the ground. Very common for fence posts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I appreciate that recommendation, but since it's a deck, I'm going to spring for the 5k stuff. The red bags worked great on my fence though, definitely would recommend them for a fence!

Hey man, all the best of luck to you. I'm sure you'll find the help. But I'm telling you from experience in the contracting business that labor is expensive. The market for painters is $180 to $240 a day.
Not to dwell on the issue, but I also cut the work nearly in half from last time too. 9 holes instead of 18.

I appreciate that recommendation, but since it's a deck, I'm going to spring for the 5k stuff. The red bags worked great on my fence though, definitely would recommend them for a fence!

I’m all for extra and Overkill never hurts. Higher psi stuff is usually recommended for more extreme situations like a 2 post car lift or runway but it’ll certainly handle a deck

I did this exact job helping a friend rebuild a deck back in March. It all goes smoothly until the auger hits a huge root and gets stuck 22 inches into a 24” hole and you’re 3 hours into your 4 hour Home Depot rental. There’s no reverse on those augers and it’s a long dig out.

I did this exact job helping a friend rebuild a deck back in March. It all goes smoothly until the auger hits a huge root and gets stuck 22 inches into a 24” hole and you’re 3 hours into your 4 hour Home Depot rental. There’s no reverse on those augers and it’s a long dig out.

I had that problem at my last house. At this location, didn't run into that problem with all the fence posts I hand dug. Doesn't mean there's zero rocks, but not anticipating getting hung up like that.

I’m all for extra and Overkill never hurts. Higher psi stuff is usually recommended for more extreme situations like a 2 post car lift or runway but it’ll certainly handle a deck

For sure! I could probably get away with it, as the deck is only 4' off the ground or less, but I figured on the overkill side in case of a nuclear attack. We'll all disintegrate, but the footers will be there for someone to build a new deck on. :yuck:

Sometimes you can put a large pipe wrench on the top of the auger and screw it out backwards.

Back
Top Bottom