• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Deer rifle ideas and training tips for a small child

I ended up getting her a PSA AR in 6.5 Grendel and put an Eotech 512 on it. Going to step up to a scope next year.
A heavy buffer helped a good bit with recoil.
She got her first deer with it this year. A unicorn!
Great times together.

Attachments

• 20211217_192051.jpg
    20211217_192051.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 6
I like the idea on a precious post of single shot 243 as well.
I started my boy out with a 30 30 handi rifle. I'm a firm believer that gun made him the marksman he is today. He missed 1 with his Grandfather's Marlin the year before at 10 yrs old He fired 3 times. I was close enough to hear.Fastforward to 11 yrs old. He grew, got stronger and I had the handi rifle hitting a nickle at 100 yards.With him watching. Then he made a 3 hole ragged with 1 flyer an inch from the group. Same day. I told him if he missed a deer that year, I take the gun back. Season over. Told him if he makes neck shots, he gets a skeleton stock Ruger next season like the one I hunt with. 2 neck shots later, I'm forking out $800.00. For another Ruger. But he still owns and cherishes that old handi rifle. Money well spent.

30-30 was my first deer rifle. I think it's the most popular. The recoil isn't real bad and it's just a good caliber for deer. Not to powerful but enough to drop a deer in it's tracks with proper shot placement. They take black bear up here all the time with it. I saw a truck the other day covered in mud and dog cages in the back. No question what it was being used for. I talked for a little while and ask him where he hunted and was a successful this year and what did he use and there he told me the 30-30 was always his favorite cartridge. Said he never had a bear run over 20 ft after hitting them in the right place. Now I don't think I'd want to shoot a grizzly with one the black bear is a different story.

I started all my children off with an ar in 556/223, it does the trick , gets them used to the loudness of a higher power rifle with out being to much that they learn to flinch because of the recoil, as they grew I went to the 243, and now one has moved up to 308, the other is still on the 223. That’s just how I did it and it seemed to work for my youngins.

I started my kids out on a 15-22 to learn the basics of the AR platform. It’s cheap and fun to play games with. A 300blackout will easily drop game and allows for a follow up shot. Plus it gives you an excuse to get a suppressor, to keep from her from being scared
My 4 YO daughter will dump all 30 in my suppressed Rattler with no hearing protection. It’s taken plenty of deer with Barnes Vortex. Great little set up.

Back
Top Bottom