• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Deer rifle ideas and training tips for a small child

I started my kids out on a 15-22 to learn the basics of the AR platform. It’s cheap and fun to play games with. A 300blackout will easily drop game and allows for a follow up shot. Plus it gives you an excuse to get a suppressor, to keep from her from being scared
I'll be using a 15-22 for training as well. Heck its my favorite gun to shoot for myself. so much fun

I most often use a Ruger American Ranch in 300BLK for my deer hunting, which is nearly always 125 yards or less. I've shot four deer with it to date, using the Hornady 110 gr varmint SP bullet, and it's worked perfectly each time. It's short, light and very easy to carry. My wife is going to start hunting, and that's the rifle I will put in her hands. I consider it an ultra-friendly beginner deer gun, as long as the hunting range is modest.

However, Nate, for your situation, I would suggest the Rossi Trifecta setup in 22LR/243 Win/20GA, with a slip on recoil pad. Put the 20GA aside for a few years. Too much kick for a small person. She may want to hunt turkey or dove when she's older, and it will work well for that.

Leave the 22LR with just the iron sights, to practice shooting basics, get used to the trigger, and have fun plinking cans. Get a decent, lightweight scope for the 243 barrel, and when you think she's ready, start having her work on 100 yard shooting with that barrel. She'll have enough range and power for longer range hunting opportunities that may present themselves in the future.

I most often use a Ruger American Ranch in 300BLK for my deer hunting, which is nearly always 125 yards or less. I've shot four deer with it to date, using the Hornady 110 gr varmint SP bullet, and it's worked perfectly each time. It's short, light and very easy to carry. My wife is going to start hunting, and that's the rifle I will put in her hands. I consider it an ultra-friendly beginner deer gun, as long as the hunting range is modest.

However, Nate, for your situation, I would suggest the Rossi Trifecta setup in 22LR/243 Win/20GA, with a slip on recoil pad. Put the 20GA aside for a few years. Too much kick for a small person. She may want to hunt turkey or dove when she's older, and it will work well for that.

Leave the 22LR with just the iron sights, to practice shooting basics, get used to the trigger, and have fun plinking cans. Get a decent, lightweight scope for the 243 barrel, and when you think she's ready, start having her work on 100 yard shooting with that barrel. She'll have enough range and power for longer range hunting opportunities that may present themselves in the future.
Another good idea. If you can gind them.

What about a 350 Legend? I know of a few people that have that round. They say the recoil is almost non-existent on that one as well. And I have read several stories about it being a great medium to large game round. Just my two cents.

Most kids aren.t scared of recoil. My plan for my 5 yr old is to let him shoot the gun I learned on. Its a Savage 24 30-30 over 20ga with iron sights. I will be riding back up with my rifle of course. It teaches 1 shot one kill, it requires a heavy hammer to be pulled back so no accidental discharge in the stand because they flipped the safety and pulled the trigger while bored. Since its a double barrel its also a lot shorter than a bolt or lever gun. I know model 24's are pretty rare, so its not for everyone, but a heavy barrel single shot in 6.5 or 7.62-39 would be a great rounds. No kick and they can shoot them forever.

Back
Top Bottom