• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Deer rifle ideas and training tips for a small child

Just another thought in the low recoil options. How about 410 shotgun firing a 45 long colt?

The pistol round through the shotgun will have both plenty of mass to slow down the recoil, and plenty of mass to take down a deer at 100 yards

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/45colt.html

Apparently single shot 410 shotguns have been had for as little as $99

I've got one of these airguns on my wish list.

https://www.airforceairguns.com/The-TexanSS-by-AirForce-Airguns-s/136.htm

Comes silenced since this isn't technically a firearm.
MSRP $1234.95

I am eyeballing the .457 caliber.

TexanSS-Angle.jpg

223 has the least recoil

I learned on a 30 30, it’s way too much for a tiny little girl to have fun with at the range, imo.

762x39 has at least 50% more recoil than 223.

223 is accepted as ethical for deer with the modern bullits.

Let her have fun with as little recoil as possible

If you knock her shoulder hard she might run off

Using the .300 blackout for deer hunting is like using a standard screwdriver for installing screws. There are much better low recoil cartridges suited to do the job. Just like a Dewalt, Makita, or Milwaukee excel at installing screws.

Agreed, but the screw driver can get the job done, costs less, and does not need batteries :).

It all boils down to trade offs. Take the 6.5 Grendal. Its a great cartridge and I own several. It is optimized for 20 inch barrels. And still works down to 16 inch barrels quite well. I would not suggest it for a 7 year old. Just my personal opinion. A 4 foot kid, 20 feet in a tree, with a 20 inch barrel rifle is not optimal. It is better with a 16 inch barrel, but you do lose something there while increasing the things that most young shooters hate (muzzle blast, concussion, bright fireballs in front of thier faces) and really... for less than 100 yard shots do you need the flatest shooting cartridge? Its nice to have, but we both know the answer is no (sight over bore drop is way more important at that distance than how flat the thing shoots). For a bigger kid, certainly. For me... yep I've toted one, for a 7 year old little girl, not really.
Not hating on the 6.5, just using it for an example. Where as the 300 blk will have all the powder burned way before it gets to the end of the barrel thus decreasing the scary stuff and its certainly well inside its engineered parameters at that point.
My point is this, its all about trade offs. I have never met this young lady. I am sure she is extraordinary in many ways. However, I dont know her and I dont know how much recoil, muzzle blast, weight, etc she can tolerate or what her hunting set up will be like. So let's give the OP some educated options so he can take that and hopefully make an informed decision and hopefully not have to buy 3 or 4 or 12 guns before he finds the correct one for her. However, I used that as justification to buy more guns under the guise that "this one may be more suited for him".

Using the .300 blackout for deer hunting is like using a standard screwdriver for installing screws. There are much better low recoil cartridges suited to do the job. Just like a Dewalt, Makita, or Milwaukee excel at installing screws.

wrong. With the right bullet, the 300blk is a great deer round. I’ve killed over 10 with a 110gr Barnes tac-tx. None have run more than 20 yards. Never needed a second shot. People who use the wrong bullet have given the 300blk a bad name with deer hunting

300blk is virtually no recoil at all. That would be a great option

How about 410 shotgun firing a 45 long colt?

The pistol round through the shotgun will have both plenty of mass ...

Apparently single shot 410 shotguns have been had for as little as $99

.410 shotguns don't shoot 45 Colt pistol cartridges.
The chamber is the wrong dimension, and the bore on the shotgun is way too small.
Some handgun manufacturers have made handguns that are basically chambered for 45 colt cartridges with special modifications to allow them to also shoot .410 shotshells, but regular 410 shotguns can't do this.

My neighbor has used a 22 Hornet for his daughter. It has worked for her since she was about 7 years old. Runs it suppressed.

She will have to wait till she can move up to a bigger cartridge to learn tracking, as the deer she shoots with the Hornet just drop, no tracking required.

Teach your girl how to shoot, and where to shoot, and you will do fine.

Back
Top Bottom