• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Deer rifle ideas and training tips for a small child

I say forget about deer hunting until she
1-- Is at least 4' 6" tall, and
2- Weighs at least 75 lbs, and
3- Can handle the weight of wielding a normal centerfire rifle with the scope --let's say roughly seven and a half pounds.
4--Can shoot a centerfire rifle from an improvised or "field rest" (replicating the conditions under which she might shoot a deer)
to an accuracy level sufficient to hit nine out of 10 shots in a 6 inch circle at whatever distance she might see a deer from and try to take the shot. Whether that's 50 yards or 200 yards, that would be her maximum distance she should pull the trigger on a game animal.

When conditions number one through four are satisfied, then she's ready to hunt. But you would want her to have the rifle ahead of time so that she practices with it and complete the items on this checklist with that rifle!
So with that in mind, I would suggest a mild recoiling gun, but with a long barrel so as to minimize noise and muzzle blast.

The gun should throw at least a 70-grain bullet, and should generate at least 800 foot pounds of kinetic energy at a distance of 100 yards.

What caliber? What cartridge?
I don't know. There are many good choices but whatever it is it should have a thin (slim) stock that fits small hands and a short reach to the trigger. But yet the barrel should be fairly long. Not 18 inches-- I would say 22 to 24 inches would be best.
That might require buying an adult dimension rifle which comes with the long barrel but then cutting an inch and a half off the stock to decrease the length of trigger pull or maybe go ahead and take 2.5 inches off the stock and then put on a recoil absorbing butt pad that's an inch thick itself.

I’ve been through all of this with my 3 kids. My suggestion is get a buddy that reloads and look into something super lite on the powder. I’ve downloaded 243 & 308 with success for 9 yr old daughter. An AR in 6.5, 300 or 6.8 with a brake are great choices if you don’t reload and even reduce recoil more — a brake not a flash hider. I’d hold off on the 410- it hits hard on a kid. ALWAYS use ear protection. Get a BOG POD to help with rifle weight. My little girl can shoot very good at long distance with the BOG. DD3BC3A6-EB21-4933-AE89-AB80E31811F4.jpeg

AR-15 build with a 20 inch pencil profile lightweight barrel, but a fast rifling twist rate like 1:7 or 1 to 8" to handle the heavy .223 bullets that you would want for deer hunting.
Shorter than usual buttstock; I would recommend a fixed buttstock
of the M-16A1 dimensions, but you could go along with a telescoping stock also.

The handguard should neither be the old fashioned triangular style nor the 1980s and 1990s fat, straight ribbed style. It should be something new, very slim, round. and preferably free-floating with a stud for a sling and another stud for a bipod on the front bottom end of that handguard.

I say forget about deer hunting until she
1-- Is at least 4' 6" tall, and
2- Weighs at least 75 lbs, and
3- Can handle the weight of wielding a normal centerfire rifle with the scope --let's say roughly seven and a half pounds.
4--Can shoot a centerfire rifle from an improvised or "field rest" (replicating the conditions under which she might shoot a deer)
to an accuracy level sufficient to hit nine out of 10 shots in a 6 inch circle at whatever distance she might see a deer from and try to take the shot. Whether that's 50 yards or 200 yards, that would be her maximum distance she should pull the trigger on a game animal.

When conditions number one through four are satisfied, then she's ready to hunt. But you would want her to have the rifle ahead of time so that she practices with it and complete the items on this checklist with that rifle!
So with that in mind, I would suggest a mild recoiling gun, but with a long barrel so as to minimize noise and muzzle blast.

The gun should throw at least a 70-grain bullet, and should generate at least 800 foot pounds of kinetic energy at a distance of 100 yards.

What caliber? What cartridge?
I don't know. There are many good choices but whatever it is it should have a thin (slim) stock that fits small hands and a short reach to the trigger. But yet the barrel should be fairly long. Not 18 inches-- I would say 22 to 24 inches would be best.
That might require buying an adult dimension rifle which comes with the long barrel but then cutting an inch and a half off the stock to decrease the length of trigger pull or maybe go ahead and take 2.5 inches off the stock and then put on a recoil absorbing butt pad that's an inch thick itself.
B******t.How he gonna tell her not this year,if she wants to go? I wish my daughter had an interest at that age. If nothing else dad can hunt in a blind with her and assist with the shot when the time comes. For what its worth, I started with a Ruger 44 carbine. But I was a fat kid, and recoil was minimal out of that set up anyhow.

AR 15 or Youth model 223 bolt gun, they will have the least kick. About a 4. Blackout is about a 6 (and is criticized By some for low velocity on deer). Grendel about 10. 243 about a 12. 6.5 creed a little more. 410 slug will kick pretty good too. Please Get her a 223 she’s tiny.

I agree with the criticism of the .300 blackout for deer hunting due to the low velocity and the intent of the cartridge was suppressed room clearing anyhow which is at very short distances.

Back
Top Bottom