• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Deer hunting with cows

This place it just too close to pass up.
What about deer feeders. I’m pretty sure the cows will eat the corn. Maybe they will let me fence off a couple of spots for feeders.

Mineral licks would be out too.
Is there anything to plant or put in a feeder that would attract deer but not cows?

Probably not what you want to hear, but in this situation, why would you and to spend money on minerals and corn?

First, you aren't going to find anything a deer will eat that cow won't. Spent an afternoon once watching cows find persimmons on a tractor and root them out with their tongue and eat them/

Two, the farmer almost certainly has minerals out for the cows. Ask him.

Two, same with the cows and their feed. He probably fertilizes those pastures in the summer, and in the fall, top sows them, probably with wheat. Ask him about that.

You are pissing in the wind to put out minerals and bait in this situation, both ways. The cows will get into anything you put out and don't put a cow proof fence around, and the deer already have plenty of what you want to put out.

Best thing for you do is spend some evenings watching where the deer come out into the pastures. They will come out at the same spot. Then backtrack to their bedding area.

Probably not what you want to hear, but in this situation, why would you and to spend money on minerals and corn?

First, you aren't going to find anything a deer will eat that cow won't. Spent an afternoon once watching cows find persimmons on a tractor and root them out with their tongue and eat them/

Two, the farmer almost certainly has minerals out for the cows. Ask him.

Two, same with the cows and their feed. He probably fertilizes those pastures in the summer, and in the fall, top sows them, probably with wheat. Ask him about that.

You are pissing in the wind to put out minerals and bait in this situation, both ways. The cows will get into anything you put out and don't put a cow proof fence around, and the deer already have plenty of what you want to put out.

Best thing for you do is spend some evenings watching where the deer come out into the pastures. They will come out at the same spot. Then backtrack to their bedding area.
I’ve always used mineral sights and or corn to set up cameras on. I’m just trying to figure out how to get the deer in front of a camera so I can take their picture. I’ll hunt them after that.

I like hunting around livestock, If a buck is around they will all stop what they are doing and stare at him. Cows and horses both do it. They don't care about does but they look at a buck.

Hunted over cows most of my teen years at my aunt n uncles in Newborn. On evening hunts, as soon as the cows would move from one field to the next, deer would move in. But if they were bedded down, you was wasting time hunting

Hunted over cows most of my teen years at my aunt n uncles in Newborn. On evening hunts, as soon as the cows would move from one field to the next, deer would move in. But if they were bedded down, you was wasting time hunting
Do you mean if the cows are bedded down the deer would not enter the field or if the cows are down, deer aren’t moving? I’ve always watched the activity of cows on the way to the hunting club. Someone once told me that if the cows are bedded down that the deer are too.

Do you mean if the cows are bedded down the deer would not enter the field or if the cows are down, deer aren’t moving? I’ve always watched the activity of cows on the way to the hunting club. Someone once told me that if the cows are bedded down that the deer are too.

Conventional hunting "wisdom" is that if cows are bedded down, deer will not be moving; if cows are up and feeding the deer will be moving. Out of dozens of truisms about deer hunting, I've found this one to be the most true. I have no idea what makes cows get up and begin to feed, don't pretend to know.

I know that I used to iive next to a cow pasture, and hunted behind it. If the cows were laying down in the morning but got up in the middle of the day and started feeding, I would hustle to the woods and killed a lot of deer without sitting in a stand all day.

If the cows are down, go to town.
If the cows are up, get in the truck. mfoster mfoster says something like that. But I don't recall seeing deer in the same field as cows

Back
Top Bottom