• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Deer carts…..what do you have?

Comanche

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
124   0
Reaction score
So I’ve been looking into getting a deer cart.
I’d go with a toboggan or plastic sled thing but seems like they don’t last up to much abuse and I’d probably ruin one on the first drag so ….I’ve got my mind on a game cart.
I’ve looked at some with dual articulating wheels but seems like they’re junk
And not solid wheels as described but have inner tubes and customer service is MIA.
Others are decent but it seems like most of the ones that are around $100
may need small modifications.
The one I kinda liked was the muddy bottom one I believe it’s called.
Seems like a good cart just needs the crappy pins that hold the wheels on the axle need to be replaced by cotter pins.
After that long of drag I did last night I had about a shovel full of dirt inside the carcass by the time I dragged it to my Jeep.
Yeah….I need a freaking cart.
I’ve shouldered deer but pretty
Much impossible when lugging your
Climber, pack and crossbow while dragging a deer plus it’s messy as hell and the ticks like fresh back of the neck meat.

Any recommendations on carts?

I have I believe a Game Winner cart that has hauled many a deer out of the woods. Solid wheels and can be folded up. I will say to get extra captured pins and zip tie them so can't be lost. Another suggestion is get a couple of the cinch straps and put them around the cart for securing a deer when needed. I think about 300# limit, so fine for most anything you shoot in GA.

So I’ve been looking into getting a deer cart.
I’d go with a toboggan or plastic sled thing but seems like they don’t last up to much abuse and I’d probably ruin one on the first drag so ….I’ve got my mind on a game cart.
I’ve looked at some with dual articulating wheels but seems like they’re junk
And not solid wheels as described but have inner tubes and customer service is MIA.
Others are decent but it seems like most of the ones that are around $100
may need small modifications.
The one I kinda liked was the muddy bottom one I believe it’s called.
Seems like a good cart just needs the crappy pins that hold the wheels on the axle need to be replaced by cotter pins.
After that long of drag I did last night I had about a shovel full of dirt inside the carcass by the time I dragged it to my Jeep.
Yeah….I need a freaking cart.
I’ve shouldered deer but pretty
Much impossible when lugging your
Climber, pack and crossbow while dragging a deer plus it’s messy as hell and the ticks like fresh back of the neck meat.

Any recommendations on carts?

I have a cheap one from academy. Did the job but the tire fell off when I got to the truck. I'm going to put all new pins in it this week. Made a big difference. I'd say it was about 30 percent effort of a normal drag.

I didn't like the carts, as the wheels always seemed too narrow in creek bottoms, and weren't as easy to roll over obstacles as I'd hoped. I love my jet sled for duck hunting......but decoys don't weigh what a deer does..... so what's a guy to do??
Y'all dont laugh too hard, but I built myself a deer sled, exactly like I wanted...
It's made from EMT (conduit) I welded together for a frame, and the flat bottom from an old beliner. I heated the bedliner at the bend with a heat gun, and used huge zip ties to secure it to the frame. So far, it has been used for firewood at deer camp, several deer, materials to build stands, etc. and has been dragged through mushy grass in a creek bottom, through pine/hardwood forests, up and down gravel roads, but shows no signs of appreciable wear. Roughly 30"w X 60"L.
The bedliner is slick as glass when being pulled, is almost indestructible, and cleans up super easy after dragging a deer, plus it keeps dirt/debris out of the gut cavity. A 70 year old gentleman I hunt with, can drag the sled with a deer on it. Put a small piece of pvc in the tow rope and it doesn't cut into your hands. Tracks nice and straight behind my 4wheeler as well.... 20211011_190103.jpg20211011_190124.jpg20211011_190133.jpg20211011_190142.jpg

Do the carts really make a difference? I'm only asking because I've never used one and don't know anyone who has. I hunt the thick nasty stuff and always say I'm gonna buy one and just haven't yet

Do the carts really make a difference? I'm only asking because I've never used one and don't know anyone who has. I hunt the thick nasty stuff and always say I'm gonna buy one and just haven't yet
Anything you can do to reduce resistance to moving, or add leverage to your effort will help.
Everyone hunts/drags/works different, but the rules of physics don't change. Carts are great for some folks, who hunt flat ground and open spaces... I prefer a sled, especially on slightly hilly terrain, soft ground, or in thick woods. Carts always seem to catch every vine and branch I roll it by.

Anything you can do to reduce resistance to moving, or add leverage to your effort will help.
Everyone hunts/drags/works different, but the rules of physics don't change. Carts are great for some folks, who hunt flat ground and open spaces... I prefer a sled, especially on slightly hilly terrain, soft ground, or in thick woods. Carts always seem to catch every vine and branch I roll it by.
That's kinda what I was worried about. I'm thinking more like a chainsaw winch lol

Back
Top Bottom