• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Deck re-build question

Are you asking about putting them inside the band or outside the band? I put mine inside the band and through bolted them then notched the decking around them. Not sure if that's code but mine was inspected and passed. I highly recomend metal rails/pickets. The ones I bought were about 100 dollars a section and took about 5 or 10 minutes each to install, except for the ones on the stairs. That was a little tricky

20180626_200813.jpg
20180929_124945.jpg
20180903_190936.jpg
20180903_190922.jpg

Like DADI03 DADI03 shows above, Putting them inside the band is code compliant and a good look as well. It also allows you to get rid of the double corner post, which some people don’t like.

I’m also a big fan of the metal panels. Fortress Railing makes excellent products. We use a lot of their stuff. They have metal post as well that screw straight to the top of the deck. Lags go through the floor and into the band.

Mine were Fortress. Wrapped the post with the fiberglass covers, they were trex. I went for as maintenance free as possible. I also hate doing railings, they never seem to turn out as nice as I would like and they are difficult to maintain. Spindles seem to split a lot. I'm not sure if it's because of the hot and cold of my deck or what.

I haven't had to many bees yet but birds love to build nests in the over hang of the covered part whenever it starts raining.

IN concrete on on top of concrete ?

I thought now you were supposed to use the metal standoffs and out the post on top of the concrete ?

I did mine on top of concrete piers with the metal brackets at the bottom of the post. But the only place I have them is on my stairs. I would be worried about the sheer aspect if you have a high deck with them just being bolted down.

Back
Top Bottom