• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Decent tactical light for AR15 around $50?

TO the OP:

To answer your specific question, there are some good "cheap" lights out there that do work for what your looking for. I have ran several flashlights in my profession and for my line of work, yes, a TL1 or so has the ruggedness and reliability that someone who does run through buildings, deserts and everywhere else chasing and shooting at bad guys needs.

For the "weekend" warrior or for the one who I hope will never have to fire at night, but to occasionaly shine the light around for clearing due to "bumps in the nights" and one that is reliable, look at the Cree http://www.ebay.com/itm/45-degree-M...7038273?pt=US_Flashlights&hash=item51b1e6b6c1. Yes it is Chinese "crap", however, like the Hi Point, it freaking works and after owning 10 of these things and they all work fine ( i put them in my cars, shotguns, AR, bug out bags etc) I have not had one problem.

They operate off of a AA battery and at 300 lumens, my $130 Streamlight cannot hold the same brightness level when compared side by side. As the other poster said, his Home Depot setup works fine, I doubt you ever use it at night and if you do not know how to use it at night (light refraction, sympathetic response etc) a cheap and reliable light is all you should need.

nice, thanks. You said these are AA powered? Or is there another that is AA powered? The one you linked appears to be CR123. Just curious

nice, thanks. You said these are AA powered? Or is there another that is AA powered? The one you linked appears to be CR123. Just curious

the one I sent you was what I have on my home shotgun. If you look for the "mini" version, they are freakin bright, 300 lumens, and run off AA battery, they are around $4 from China, they have an orange tail cap. But the pressure switches are hard to find, so thats why I ordered the one I sent you a link of, works great and even stays on while shooting

TO the OP:

To answer your specific question, there are some good "cheap" lights out there that do work for what your looking for. I have ran several flashlights in my profession and for my line of work, yes, a TL1 or so has the ruggedness and reliability that someone who does run through buildings, deserts and everywhere else chasing and shooting at bad guys needs.

For the "weekend" warrior or for the one who I hope will never have to fire at night, but to occasionaly shine the light around for clearing due to "bumps in the nights" and one that is reliable, look at the Cree http://www.ebay.com/itm/45-degree-M...7038273?pt=US_Flashlights&hash=item51b1e6b6c1. Yes it is Chinese "crap", however, like the Hi Point, it freaking works and after owning 10 of these things and they all work fine ( i put them in my cars, shotguns, AR, bug out bags etc) I have not had one problem.

They operate off of a AA battery and at 300 lumens, my $130 Streamlight cannot hold the same brightness level when compared side by side. As the other poster said, his Home Depot setup works fine, I doubt you ever use it at night and if you do not know how to use it at night (light refraction, sympathetic response etc) a cheap and reliable light is all you should need.

So I ordered this one you linked. got it for $16. Took almost a month to arrive. The mount is pretty solid, the light is very bright for the price. Grabbed a magpul picattiny rail section on my way home today and mounted it. It's pretty solid, functions great. I find it easy to use, I also shoot rifles lefty. Now to test it while shooting...

This cheap LED flashlight and red laser unit cost me about $59 about ten years ago.
I've had it on two shotguns and a .22 rifle over the years.
It has always worked except when I left the batteries in it and didn't use it for five years and then the batteries not only died but corroded and leaked inside the battery compartment but I cleaned it up and now it works good with fresh lithium batteries.

Now, I don't think that this unit can be "sighted in" to make the laser beam hit exactly where the bullets will impact. But, if the laser is significantly off you can twist the laser in the mounting bracket, or re-position the mounting bracket on the gun, or swap the mounting bracket around front to back and back to front.

All of which change the place where the laser dot hits in relation to the weapon's sights or the shotgun bead.

I have it almost aligned ; at 25 yards the laser is about 5 inches to the left of where my gun's sights line up.

For a cylinder choke shotgun loaded with small buckshot,
I don't think being a little bit off matters.

C3C114D7-7AC6-4D14-846C-28796D5A64F9.jpeg

GAgunLAWbooklet GAgunLAWbooklet

I'm glad yours IS working for you... I was actually going to chime in and specifically say NOT to get the exact one you pictured. Mine didn't survive the recoil from 00 buck in a 12 gauge 870.

I didn't follow up with the manufacturer. It just went straight into the trash and I bought the surefire forearm.

My first budget light experience being the total failure and waste of $$ that it was lead me to going straight to the higher end because I was so discouraged with the wasted purchase.

I got one from Academy years ago that was a Nebo brand. It came with a sorta generic universal barrel clamp for attaching to a shotgun. I'm sure it was well under $50.00. And the same brand has several different models available.

Wow this is an old thread.

Save yourself money and a headache, buy Olight. I've had Surefire in the military and InForce on personal firearms, but they aren't worth it anymore. You can get an Olight for less with more lumen and just as sturdy (if not more so). Check out some reviews on Youtube.

Back
Top Bottom