• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Debit cards !^&*%$%^$##@@!@@@!!!!!!

The "bank" is simply the issuer of the card in this case. They are being ZERO help. Assuming the charge goes through (instead of just held, which is no practical difference for him at the moment since he can't use those funds either way) he can then dispute it. At this point, the "hold" may just sit there for either 2 or 3 weeks (can't remember what she said) and then drop off.
It is odd they'd have put a hold and not a charge.
He now can not use any of it as they are sending him yet a THIRD card since the other card was compromised. Which made absolutely no sense since it was charged on the first card, which had already been cancelled and not the second card (which as a different number on it).
Who knows.

Why not get him a credit card with a secured line of credit? He cannot spend more than the amount you secure it with. Have him pay it off each month. Builds a good habit, builds credit, and is much more protected from fraud than debit cards.

Why not get him a credit card with a secured line of credit? He cannot spend more than the amount you secure it with. Have him pay it off each month. Builds a good habit, builds credit, and is much more protected from fraud than debit cards.
I offered to do that for him as I figured it would be a secure way for him to learn how to use one, but the bank (Wells) no longer offers those. I was surprised. There's a back story to all this dealing with more life lessons but I'm not typing it all out. Let's just say when he eventually spends all his money he can make some "big boy" decisions. I'm actually hoping he burns through it all sooner than later.

Personally, I'd never go for a debit card linked to a bank account. Real hassle if it get's cleaned out.

BTW for all the BOA haters, they're fraud systems pretty good, and they've resolved fraud on my CC account instantly without any hassle several times.
It's not a problem for me or most people. I never keep more than about $1000 in my checking account anyway and it's 100% free to use, visa debit card excepted everywhere no problem. So big deal if it gets scammed and I have to wait a little while for the bank to work it out. Although in 15+ years I've never had a single issue using debit cards.

It's not a problem for me or most people. I never keep more than about $1000 in my checking account anyway and it's 100% free to use, visa debit card excepted everywhere no problem. So big deal if it gets scammed and I have to wait a little while for the bank to work it out. Although in 15+ years I've never had a single issue using debit cards.

Just on the off chance the bank stalls a bit and / or you end up bouncing payments, (mortgage, CC etc), because of 0 balance.

Just on the off chance the bank stalls a bit and / or you end up bouncing payments, (mortgage, CC etc), because of 0 balance.
If it was because of fraudulent charges I trust my bank to take care of it. I get a text message every time my card is charged so I would know and be on top of it immediately so it's not really an issue. Electronic banking in 2020 couldn't be any easier.

I offered to do that for him as I figured it would be a secure way for him to learn how to use one, but the bank (Wells) no longer offers those. I was surprised. There's a back story to all this dealing with more life lessons but I'm not typing it all out. Let's just say when he eventually spends all his money he can make some "big boy" decisions. I'm actually hoping he burns through it all sooner than later.

Credit union for the win.

If it was because of fraudulent charges I trust my bank to take care of it. I get a text message every time my card is charged so I would know and be on top of it immediately so it's not really an issue. Electronic banking in 2020 couldn't be any easier.

I do the same, and agree it's easy. Having said that someone managed to get through one of the call centers recently, changed the address and contact details, (email etc), on my account, and some other stuff I won't go into. If they'd got as far as transferring money and locking me out of the account things wouldn't be as simple.

The alerts got me right onto it, but if a few more hours had gone by........

I just prefer to give as few people as possible any access to my accounts, let them steal someone else's money first is my motto :)

As previously mentioned, a prepaid “debit” card has zero protection for the consumer beyond the limiting factor of the balance.

I would recommend either a debit card from a bank, or a low limit credit card. Clark Howard mentioned something about how to get a credit card for a minor on his show the other night; you could probably find the details from his website.

Crappy life lesson, but if the loss is “only” $100ish- that’s much cheaper than lots of other folks get off... So there is a silver lining, I suppose.

I still suggest anyone saddled with a bank debit card with a "visa" logo get the bank to set the credit limit to zero. That way if the card number is stolen, then cannot empty your bank account. Long ago in the good 'ole days, when a debit card was just an ATM card, you needed a PIN to use the card at a merchant, so someone stealing your card or number couldn't do anything with it. But with the "visa" BS, now they can swipe it at a merchant (or the clone they made). Or use it online. Or whatever. Right up to whatever that visa limit is, and it may be every penny in your account. Zero-limit that sucker and tell your bank you don't appreciate having to waste your time with such unwanted, insecure foolishness. So sayeth the Kuduman, who worries not about his ATM card getting stolen.

Back
Top Bottom