• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Debit cards !^&*%$%^$##@@!@@@!!!!!!

After my last debit card compromise, this is exactly what my wife and I do now. We just pay off our balance every month, and earn points while we're at it.
Same here. Thousands in cash back, zero fees, zero interest and zero worries.

He lost his debit card at 12 so years later still holding that against him you allowed him to get a less secure less user friendly less convenient pre-paid card rather than just getting a debit card like everyone else? What's the lesson again?

Just get a debit card with your bank account like every other normal person.

"He only used it at the school vending machines and to buy Chick-Fil-A biscuits at school."

??

How about just get him an Amazon Card?
Not sure if there's a question here. He used it at school (The local CFA goes to his school some mornings) but couldn't use it for online purchases because it lacked the 3 digit security code as mentioned. That's why a new one was sent to him and the original one supposedly cancelled. He didn't want an Amazon or Ebay card (though he had them prior) because he didn't want his money tied up on either one. He wanted to be free to use it for any site (which the VISA debit would allow). He doesn't have unlimited funds. ;)
While the $300 card wasn't all of his saved money by a good bit, it was enough flexible dollars to appease him for the time being. Although it sounds like it will wind up being a $185 card.....

Just get a debit card with your bank account like every other normal person.

Personally, I'd never go for a debit card linked to a bank account. Real hassle if it get's cleaned out.

BTW for all the BOA haters, they're fraud systems pretty good, and they've resolved fraud on my CC account instantly without any hassle several times.

Don't waste your time trying to figure out how the "crime" was committed.

Just work with the issuing bank to get your $$$$$ back. Back when I was working I had a business checking account, with debit card, at Wells Fargo for my LLC. Someone in Tulsa OK decided that I needed to buy them a new cell phone. I hadn't been in Tulsa in over 20 years.

Wells Fargo fixed it almost immediately....less than a week. I didn't worry about how the "crooks" did it, I just got a new debit card and number and all my money back.

Knowledge is expensive. Ask him how much he wants to know?

The easier it is to use, the easier it is for someone to steal it.

Don't waste your time trying to figure out how the "crime" was committed.

Just work with the issuing bank to get your $$$$$ back. Back when I was working I had a business checking account, with debit card, at Wells Fargo for my LLC. Someone in Tulsa OK decided that I needed to buy them a new cell phone. I hadn't been in Tulsa in over 20 years.

Wells Fargo fixed it almost immediately....less than a week. I didn't worry about how the "crooks" did it, I just got a new debit card and number and all my money back.
The "bank" is simply the issuer of the card in this case. They are being ZERO help. Assuming the charge goes through (instead of just held, which is no practical difference for him at the moment since he can't use those funds either way) he can then dispute it. At this point, the "hold" may just sit there for either 2 or 3 weeks (can't remember what she said) and then drop off.
It is odd they'd have put a hold and not a charge.
He now can not use any of it as they are sending him yet a THIRD card since the other card was compromised. Which made absolutely no sense since it was charged on the first card, which had already been cancelled and not the second card (which as a different number on it).
Who knows.

Back
Top Bottom