Debit cards !^&*%$%^$##@@!@@@!!!!!!

GeauxLSU

Default rank 5000+ posts
Corn Pop
Staff member
Super Moderator
63   0
Reaction score
Where the stars at night are big and bright.
My son is apparently about to learn a very valuable lesson.
He's in high school and is good about not really wasting his money. It's in the bank in an account but he doesn't have a debit card (since he immediately 'misplaced' it when we first opened it when he was around 12 or so). So he feels he doesn't have ready access to it like he wants. Well of course all his friends have them and he can't understand why he hasn't been allowed to have one. We do NOT use them.
I got frustrated explaining to him multiple times about the risk but you know how smart internet friends are..... :rolleyes:
I finally caved and allowed him to purchase a $300 Visa debit from the store. He uses it for small vending type purchases for school. That's it. He was wanting to make some online purchases (Amazon/Ebay) but there was a problem with the card, security code was missing so he couldn't use it online. So he had to order a new one. I told him to make sure and check that they transferred the balance correctly. Guess what? It was missing $115 from the new card. We called and there was a hold at the "Atlanta Westin" for $100 + $15 gratuity the day BEFORE the card even arrived and after the old one had been cancelled. (No, he's never been there, doesn't even have a driver's license). Of course getting through to someone at any of those hotels (there are three) that can give you an answer is like contacting the president. I have a suspicion he just might lose this money and maybe, just maybe, he'll think twice next time I tell him something isn't safe.
Sometimes you have to make those "life tuition payments". :doh:

My son is apparently about to learn a very valuable lesson.
He's in high school and is good about not really wasting his money. It's in the bank in an account but he doesn't have a debit card (since he immediately 'misplaced' it when we first opened it when he was around 12 or so). So he feels he doesn't have ready access to it like he wants. Well of course all his friends have them and he can't understand why he hasn't been allowed to have one. We do NOT use them.
I got frustrated explaining to him multiple times about the risk but you know smart internet friends are..... :rolleyes:
I finally caved and allowed him to purchase a $300 Visa debit from the store. He uses it for small vending type purchases for school. That's it. He was wanting to make some online purchases (Amazon/Ebay) but there was a problem with the card, security code was missing so he couldn't use it online. So he had to order a new one. I told him to make sure and check that they transferred the balance correctly. Guess what? It was missing $115 from the new card. We called and there was a hold at the "Atlanta Westin" for $100 + $15 gratuity the day BEFORE the card even arrived and after the old one had been cancelled. (No, he's never been there, doesn't even have a driver's license). Of course getting through to someone at any of those hotels (there are three) that can give you an answer is like contacting the president. I have a suspicion he just might lose this money and maybe, just maybe, he'll think twice next time I tell him something isn't safe.
Sometimes you have to make those "life tuition payments". :doh:
Local cops, as useless as they are, are your best bet. File a complaint now.

You figure someone wrote down the card number, then waited till it was purchased and used it immediately upon activation?

Not a bad scam, but I thought the numbers were hidden until you scratched off a coating, not that it would be hard to scratch, replace, put back on shelf.

Anything without the the chip though is risky-- and ALL American cards with chips are still less secure than "chip and PIN", which has been the standard in Europe for well over a decade IIRC. Steal a card there, and it's worthless without the PIN to go along with it. Stops fraud. Makes sense. Not coming to a bank near you, AFAIK.

If you are saddled with a "visa" ATM card, call your bank and have them zero-limit it. I got a new one in the mail the other day; I have to repeat that process I expect.

Local cops, as useless as they are, are your best bet. File a complaint now.
What I loved the most is the Einstein from the issuer telling me we have to wait until the charge comes through to dispute it and she can't release the hold. So the money isn't technically gone yet, but he can't use it since there's a hold on it. She said "Just check it everyday and when it's gone you can dispute it." Um..... lady..... we have no way of knowing when it goes through since it already shows 'gone' on our end. Fortunately he got to be on hold over an hour for those pearls of wisdom.

You figure someone wrote down the card number, then waited till it was purchased and used it immediately upon activation?

Not a bad scam, but I thought the numbers were hidden until you scratched off a coating, not that it would be hard to scratch, replace, put back on shelf.

If you are saddled with a "visa" ATM card, call your bank and have them zero-limit it. I got a new one in the mail the other day; I have to repeat that process I expect.
No clue. He only used it at the school vending machines and to buy Chick-Fil-A biscuits at school. The operator himself apparently brings them. I may call him to let him know since that's the only way someone could have gotten the number I can think of.

I think it would have to be at the airport location and the Coppers should be able to get surveillance footage.

Screenshot_20201117-132015_Samsung Internet.jpg

What I loved the most is the Einstein from the issuer telling me we have to wait until the charge comes through to dispute it and she can't release the hold. So the money isn't technically gone yet, but he can't use it since there's a hold on it. She said "Just check it everyday and when it's gone you can dispute it." Um..... lady..... we have no way of knowing when it goes through since it already shows 'gone' on our end. Fortunately he got to be on hold over an hour for those pearls of wisdom.
Try this. When I received my ATM card from State Bank, it immediately was hit for something like $1,600 from Eddie Bauer for "luggage." The issuer couldn't do anything until I had a police report. Eddie Bauer online catalog are crooks and I'm convinced complicit in the theft since they couldn't or wouldn't tell me to what address I had "my" luggage shipped. Scumbags.

Back
Top Bottom