• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Debating ordering a new progressive

Freshly Minted Georgian!

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
304   0
Reaction score
This one:
https://www.dillonprecision.com/xl-750-reloader-package-223-5-56mm_8_134_26664.html

or this one:
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012996352?pid=632863

Hornady seems a bit cheaper, comes with both the case and bullet feeders

I've used progressives in the past but didn't like them. Granted, the main one I had experience with wasn't really a commercial success (RCBS AmmoMaster) and it ended up getting dropped by RCBS, apparently other people didn't really like it either!

Thoughts? Pros? Cons? I do reload quite a few calibers so cost to add calibers is actually a thing. I'll keep either the trusty old turret press or the Rock Chucker for smaller volume stuff.

I only have experience with the Dillon so keep that in mind. Dillons are the best choice because of their customer service and how good their products are. I started with a 550 and traded it on on a 650. One of the disadvantages of the dillons is the cost of The machine and the cost of caliber conversions. You don’t have to but I prefer to have a toolhead for each caliber set up with a dedicated powder measure. This will run you about 300 a caliber. The Dillon will crank out some ammo quickly though. Make sure you go ahead and buy the casefeeder.

Go blue! Add a Mr bullet feeder if you want to go faster!! Thier warranty is no bs, something breaks or malfunctions they will take care of it.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

There is actually an open source 3D printed project for a bullet feeder. I've been eyeballing that project for some time now but really didn't have an excuse to build one. If I pick up the Dillon I'll build that project out. I did print one of the bullet plates just as a test and it came out awesome. Actually that MAY be fully compatible with the official Mr. Bullet Feeder, I'll have to see if there is someone around Athens that has one that would be willing to test a printed plate for me!

Buy blue.... buy once cry once. If there is an issue pick up the phone and they fix it period! Not that Hornady is a bad name but the dillons have authorized dealers locally for support and they actually answer the phone. I have 4 of them and don’t look back. May upgrade one of my 550’s to a 750 but not planning on changing colors.

If I was to do it over again, I would go straight for the 1100. The primer pocket swage would be worth the cost, specially loading 223/300BO/308 with the plethora of military brass out there. I have had 4x 450's, 2x 550's, 2x SDBs and a 650, crimped primers always stops them in their tracks.

This one:
https://www.dillonprecision.com/xl-750-reloader-package-223-5-56mm_8_134_26664.html

or this one:
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012996352?pid=632863

Hornady seems a bit cheaper, comes with both the case and bullet feeders

I've used progressives in the past but didn't like them. Granted, the main one I had experience with wasn't really a commercial success (RCBS AmmoMaster) and it ended up getting dropped by RCBS, apparently other people didn't really like it either!

Thoughts? Pros? Cons? I do reload quite a few calibers so cost to add calibers is actually a thing. I'll keep either the trusty old turret press or the Rock Chucker for smaller volume stuff.

I thought about it, but then I’d burn through components faster. Right now I have a few Dillon rl550s and they’re fast enough. I don’t want to have to hunt down primers and powder right now!!!!!

If I was to do it over again, I would go straight for the 1100. The primer pocket swage would be worth the cost, specially loading 223/300BO/308 with the plethora of military brass out there. I have had 4x 450's, 2x 550's, 2x SDBs and a 650, crimped primers always stops them in their tracks.
If I’m not mistaken but I may be.... but I believe the 1100 is not under the lifetime warranty umbrella because it is considered a commercial machine.

Back
Top Bottom