• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Dad Wants to Leave You His Gun

Ok, so my question is, if the person is still living and able....why not just transfer at an FFL? Doesn't need to be shipped, right? I could drive to PSA in south carolina right now and walk out with a rifle. Different story for a handgun/pistol.
Yep, that's a legal way to do it. I've done it that way myself, although the person who got my rifle was not a friend or family member -- just a buyer.

You could always just "hold" it for your relative to use when they visit. That is legal, I have sent firearms to relatives/friends homes for me to use when I was hunting in their area.

When the relative passes, you inherit.

I've never heard of any court case or even an ATF published letter on this topic, but my inclination is "no" that wouldn't work.

Sending (or bringing) your guns to some other relative to hold for the rest of their or your lives is going to be considered a "transfer" under federal law. You could do this for a short period of time -- whatever is necessary to allow them to come and do their legal hunting or target shooting in your state, but the guns need to go back with them to their home state or shortly after the guns have been used for the sporting purpose.

Is it possible it was gifted to you when you both lived in the same state, and he was just holding it until you got settled in a permanent residence? How would that work?

That might work. If they were your guns back then, there's no ATF interpretation of GCA '68 that says you must take them with you or they become somebody else's guns if you leave them in the custody of another person at your prior residence.

----------

That being said, the plain language of the Gun Control Act actually does ban you from possessing a gun that you acquired in another state, from a non-dealer.

In other words, the law technically makes it illegal for you to move interstate and take your own guns with you.

But ATF has always consider this to be an unintentional puck up on the part of congress-critters that drafted the legislation in 1968, and ATF never took this provision seriously or tried to enforce it.

ATF has consistently said that you can relocate to another state and either take your own guns with you or have them shipped to your new address, or shipped to a caretaker there while you are en route to your new address, and you'll get your guns when you have moved into your new place.

Dear sweet 9 pound baby Jesus....Do people really fret about these types of things?....... First of all...who the heck knows who owns what firearm unless you tell someone you own it.......Monday its mine, Tuesday its Dads, Wednesday its Moms....lol

I can tell you that there are a whole lot more things that keep me up at night than who the heck owns my family's firearms... When I pick up dads rifle and take it to the woods, its mine.....when I drop off dads rifle...then its his again....

Dear sweet 9 pound baby Jesus....Do people really fret about these types of things?....... First of all...who the heck knows who owns what firearm unless you tell someone you own it.......Monday its mine, Tuesday its Dads, Wednesday its Moms....lol

I can tell you that there are a whole lot more things that keep me up at night than who the heck owns my family's firearms... When I pick up dads rifle and take it to the woods, its mine.....when I drop off dads rifle...then its his again....

Lol. It's ODT tradition.

Back
Top Bottom