• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Crawlspace Help

Thanks a lot for your answer Hunter! Any other variants? It's a big problem for me because I live on my own. My husband works abroad. He told me to apply to a specialized company because he doesn't have time to give me any useful advices. He will be back in a few months, so I want to accomplish it until that time. One of my friends told me that there is a good crawl space cleaning Everett company which I can apply to. What can you say about it? Do you think they can do it better than others? I would be glad to hear your thoughts.

First step, as you have mentioned, is getting all gutters and grading correct to shed water away from your house. Often times I see non-functioning gutters dumping water over the edge instead of into the down spouts. Second , access if you need an interior or exterior French/foundation drain around the crawl space. Hopefully you have a proper lot grade and you can gravity drain the system. If not, a sump pump and collection basin is required. Third is the vapor barrier. None of it is rocket science, but it’s all labor intensive and tight working conditions on the interior. Any underground drainage pipe from your down spouts needs to be 4” pvc and have a clean-out where it goes underground to prevent blockage. Using pvc and having a clean-out will assure you never have to replace your buried pipes. You will be able to snake any clogged lines. Start with your gutters and follow these steps and you’ll eliminate your issues. Do it right, dig properly, use the right materials for longevity and long term functionality.

In the meantime, get some 2-6 mil plastic and enclose the dirt. Can be done for sub $200 yourself.
I had a guy put black plastic under my house which is in the woods of south Ga. Now I'm scared to death to go under there for anything. The plastic absorbs the light of flashlight and behind every wrinkle could be a big old diamondback. I hate to say this but before using plastic I wish I had strung lights every 5 feet.

,,, I hate to say this but before using plastic I wish I had strung lights every 5 feet.
If you have an electrical outlet in your crawlspace, it's cheap and easy to run a series of light duty extension cords and plug-in light bulb sockets around, to give you at least 4 lights. I used 100 watt bulbs. That helped a lot. For some tasks I still needed a flashlight for right where I was working, but for crawling around and generally assessing the condition of the crawlspace, 4 bulbs hanging from the "ceiling" was good.

Back
Top Bottom