• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Crappie on Lanier?

A good thing from yesterday is that I found a very large area of brush piles that was holding huge and very dense bait balls. It's going to get a lot of attention from me. It's one of those places that is going to obviously hold game fish in good numbers at times.

We only made one halfassed swing at it yesterday because by the time we did my grandson was wiped out and ready to go home. He's only good for about three hours before he gets tired and GRUMPY. Eight year olds with attitude are always fun. He definitely gets that from his Mother. LOL!

Try some socks in 10 plus feet of water close to the back of creeks. Covered docks with boats seem to work best for me. Be a little stealthy, as another poster said white jigs are hard to beat. Creeks in the middle of the lake are working well right now, maybe other places but I have not had the need to go further south or north.

I’d guess mouth of coves to halfway in,I’m just judging by oconee I’d say they staging in 10 -20 and could be moving in a little more in in afternoons because surface may change 3-4 degrees.
It sounds like I was fishing way to deep yesterday.

Do you shoot docks on Oconee? That seems to be a popular technique on Lanier, but we couldn't do it yesterday. Ryland's skill level isn't up that yet. Not too sure mine is. LOL!

Are Crappie really as color sensitive as I have read?

Do you shoot docks on Oconee? That seems to be a popular technique on Lanier, but we couldn't do it yesterday. Ryland's skill level isn't up that yet. Not too sure mine is. LOL!

My pond (about 3 acres) is shallow and heats fast in the spring. It has crappie in it, though I have wished at most times it did not. For some reason this year, perhaps because of our thinning out all we could in previous years, they are of a decent size, have been able to fillet most of what I have caught. They have been hitting a white beetle spin really well and also chartreuse soft baits.
Lanier is a fairly deep water lake and isn’t going to have the population of some of the shallower lakes like Weiss but should still be enough there to make for a good day. If it were me I’d take along a cup of worms or some crickets, if the crappie aren’t hitting, catching bluegill is always fun for the young , and not so young, folks.
Miss fishing with my grandkids, teenagers seem to develop different priorities. Enjoy this time.

They are color sensitive,I do shoot docks after they get shallow I enjoy long line trolling.as far as shooting you can practice in your yard I would sit in swing and had a 2x4 laying across 2 blocks which is the easiest to learn bite detection is where you will have to spend time on water.spool your dock shooter with high vis line.
As you see I carry a lot jig heads from 1/8 to 1/48 you just have to adjust.
A3A8C929-EE50-49D6-BD95-C671313D1CF4.jpeg
C10340DA-3BB3-49DB-8BBC-CE7C55EE158A.jpeg

They are color sensitive,I do shoot docks after they get shallow I enjoy long line trolling.as far as shooting you can practice in your yard I would sit in swing and had a 2x4 laying across 2 blocks which is the easiest to learn bite detection is where you will have to spend time on water.spool your dock shooter with high vis line.
As you see I carry a lot jig heads from 1/8 to 1/48 you just have to adjust.View attachment 2557883View attachment 2557884
Yikes! I have about a dozen different colors of the old tube jigs from years ago when I thought I was going to get serious about Crappie fishing, but didn't.

This is true of any fishing, but how do you know it's time to change colors and presentation, rather than place?

8169782F-587F-4E4E-B883-610102372101.png
Yikes! I have about a dozen different colors of the old tube jigs from years ago when I thought I was going to get serious about Crappie fishing, but didn't.

This is true of any fishing, but how do you know it's time to change colors and presentation, rather than place?
I usefully start with assortment, the water condition predicts color darker the water darker the color I try to troll about .8 to 1.0 mph here is a chart that will give you a good indication of how deep your jigs are.

Back
Top Bottom