• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Coyote ammo

Ricky T

Default rank <1500 posts
ODT Junkie!
85   0
Reaction score
Just curious as i am not familiar with the ballistics of the .17 HMR. My friend wants to use it against coyotes on his property. He doesnt want to make a lot of noise. Is it enough to kill a coyote? Thanks.

Not the ideal round for yotes. Yes, a head shot will stop them.

22 Mag is the least powerful I will go after them with, but I prefer the 223 or 5.45x39 for dispatching them.

Not the ideal round for yotes. Yes, a head shot will stop them.

22 Mag is the least powerful I will go after them with, but I prefer the 223 or 5.45x39 for dispatching them.

You got a pasture, maybe some cows, goats or whatever livestock, get a Donkey....they're kicking fools and will protect a whole flock.....I've seen it...

He already stated that noise it’s a concern, 223,22-250,17 hmr, 22 mag they all loud unless suppressed, your best bet it’s a 22lr with subsonic ammo, it will get the job done while keeping noise to minimum.

You will want head shots for any rimfire. I've only killed a few, but two were close headshots with a 22 pistol using CCI standard velocity ammo. Those two were being still at the moment I shot them.

Good to know that the .17hmr can do the job. I don't care, there's no way to give my friend any advice. He's one of those that when he's got it in his head to do something a certain way with a certain method, he's unchangeable.
Thanks.

Oh, and he's stubborn about sighting in any of his rifles. He's got two ARs with optics (EOTech and Sig Romeo) both have never been zeroed. He can hit a beach ball at 10 yds with the EOTech gun as I've seen him shoot it once.

If he's got to do a head shot on a coyote with that new .17 rifle he just bought, we can all pray. LOL.

Good to know that the .17hmr can do the job. I don't care, there's no way to give my friend any advice. He's one of those that when he's got it in his head to do something a certain way with a certain method, he's unchangeable.
Thanks.

Oh, and he's stubborn about sighting in any of his rifles. He's got two ARs with optics (EOTech and Sig Romeo) both have never been zeroed. He can hit a beach ball at 10 yds with the EOTech gun as I've seen him shoot it once.

If he's got to do a head shot on a coyote with that new .17 rifle he just bought, we can all pray. LOL.

Not to sound like a pecker or anything but does he really need to be hunting? Not zeroing his rifles? Even the coyote deserves a clean ethical kill shot...

Back
Top Bottom