• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Covering the serial on a NFA?

BigMike

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
230   0
Reaction score
I'm putting in for my stamp to SBS my shockwave. I run a side saddle the inconveniently covers the serial number. Now, I've never had anything checked or known anyone who's had anything checked, but am I asking for a problem by not being able to see the serial number? I can get the saddle off, but not without more tools than I carry. I "might" can modify it to show the number but I'm not sure.

Just my 2 cents here but since you have to engrave it, why not just engrave the OEM serial number under name or trust name and city, state? Keep a copy of your stamp with you; I keep scanned copies on my phone. No one is the wiser and no where in the regulation that I have read does it state anything other than engraving depth and visible. Keep a picture or two of the fire arm with the saddle off as well. No one who asked my about an NFA item has ever inspected the weapon. They just want to see the stamp and then away they go. Usually it's and over zealous RSO who really wants to finger **** my NFA toy anyway and they aren't looking at the engraving.

I like the idea of duplicating it in the NFA engraving.

As mentioned above 'readily removable' certainly applies to a suppressor cover, but a bolted-on sidesaddle could be iffy.

I'm not going challenge Nonliberal Nonliberal on this as he has probably forgotten more about NFA that I know. However, readily removable in all of the documentation I have read in the NFA applies removing or obliterating a serial. Covering a serial number is not removing it and nowhere does it define readily accessible for viewing just that it be visible. I'd go with engraving the OEM serial number with the NFA engraving and be done with it. As an end-user unless you do something really stupid how often does an NFA agent inspect your stuff. For Nonliberal Nonliberal as a SOT holder it definitely applies more than an end user. Worst case call them up and submit it in the ask the experts for full clarification.

Take enough tools to be able to show and tell? I should have messaged you to start with. I'm loving the new lowers, btw!
Thank you sir, I just made a big move on them this morning.

I put that in quotations because that term is used a lot by the ATF. Like everything else they say, I guess it would be up to whoever you're looking at. You won't get in trouble for it, but be ready to take it off if you get hit by an agent. You won't, ever, but be ready.
Somebody told me once that your chances are low of being killed by a frog but they are never 0.

Back
Top Bottom