• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Coronavirus-Related Cattle Losses at $13.6 Billion

Don231s

Default rank 5000+ posts
I heard it on the X
55   0
Reaction score
Brownfield Ag News - Today
A study of cattle industry losses as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic estimates total damages of 13.6 billion dollars as of early April. “The cow-calf sector, for 2020, had projected revenue losses of 3.7 billion,” Peel says. “That works out to about 112 dollars a head for cows and bulls in this country if you look across mature breeding animals.” Market analyst Corbitt Wall says it’s probably going to get worse before it gets better.
Brownfield Ag News Article Link

Crobitt Wall was on Glenn Beck today, too.

I noticed the guy was talking about shortages coming end of month and beginning of May. I don't know about y'all but heck there's been a shortage where I'm at for almost a month now. I'm just glad I keep my freezer stocked.

I'm glad I had a decent stock of meat before all this happened too. One of my coworkers' dad runs a beef/deer processing shop. He raises his own cattle and processes everything in house. I bought a half cow worth of meat a couple of months ago and still have plenty. His business hasn't really suffered because he doesn't sell to restaurants or stores, but mostly to regular folks like us and hunters who keep getting meat from him.

Good thing I hunt enough to keep a full freezer and I have a lot of bacon in there with it. No against my will vegetarian diet for me. If we start having dairy shortages too there will be vegans out there fondling themselves in excitement.

That doesn't make any sense, how can there be shortages if there is a "glut." If you have low demand for meat (which doesn't make sense, we are all still eating at home, but maybe not buying as many steaks) why not just let your cows continue to graze? And if we have low demand, its just that the farms aren't getting paid as much, which isn't a shortage of meat.

Did everyone suddenly become a vegetarian?

Sounds like some Opec math to me.

That doesn't make any sense, how can there be shortages if there is a "glut." If you have low demand for meat (which doesn't make sense, we are all still eating at home, but maybe not buying as many steaks) why not just let your cows continue to graze? And if we have low demand, its just that the farms aren't getting paid as much, which isn't a shortage of meat.

This 100%......Where did the cattle go???

If I understand the situation correctly from Wall's interview with Beck, it's that the processors are not working. Yes, there's a glut of cattle, but because of social distancing, the processing plants have all closed, which results in a shortage to the market.

Back
Top Bottom