• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Corned Beef and Cabbage

I have 2 briskets in the fridge I bought on sale. I'm doing one this way. Serve it with Colemans Mustard. Great eats. The other brisket will be smoked. Covered with coarse black pepper and smoked for about 7 hours. Best pastrami you'll ever eat.
I've never tried making it myself, sounds like another "to do" while I've got so much time.

My mother used to cook this meal in a pressure cooker. Course I didn't pay attention to how long it took, but I'm sure it was less than time than conventional cooking.

The other thing she did was take the hot corned beef put it between two plates with a weight on top and press it in the refrigerator. I guess it firmed it up. Then reheat it with the veggies. One of those things I never asked "why" about because I assumed that was the way everyone did it.

My mother used to cook this meal in a pressure cooker. Course I didn't pay attention to how long it took, but I'm sure it was less than time than conventional cooking.

The other thing she did was take the hot corned beef put it between two plates with a weight on top and press it in the refrigerator. I guess it firmed it up. Then reheat it with the veggies. One of those things I never asked "why" about because I assumed that was the way everyone did it.

OK, I'm gonna havta Google that, I'm curious as to why.

Reading through this thread got me thinking, Kroger had whole briskets the other day for around $40. I might stop by and see if they still have any and try curing my own.

2020-04-01 14.31.04.jpg

Looks good. Reminded me that I still had not cooked mine yet.

Threw mine on the smoker. Going to smoke the cabbage, potatoes and bacon wrapped scallops too.

Attachments

• 2020-03-30 19.16.58.jpg
    2020-03-30 19.16.58.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 3
Back
Top Bottom