• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Copperhead strike

This afternoon I was walking back to my house from my next door neighbor's house, when I noticed a tall weed growing from the front edge of my bushes/pine straw. I walked over, bent down, and grabbed the weed at the ground, and suddenly felt something hit my hand. At first I thought it might be a frog, but when I knelt down and looked under the bottom of the bush, it was about a 2.5 foot copperhead. It was coiled and ready to strike again. I started checking my hand for blood or marks, and came inside for my wife to look. I guess it either did a dry strike, or just missed. I sure feel lucky tonight. That could have been bad. I am always so careful, cause we have rattlers at the farm, but I didn't even think about getting bitten here in Gwinnett. So, you guys be careful out there.

How’s your hand today ?

If he got hit, it wouldn't take a day to know it. That happens in seconds or less.
No dought I was with a guy that got bit by a moccasin coon hunting I thought he was gonna die on the way to hospital.his leg swole so much it was busting open.

Your neighbor keeps a steel rod bent like professional snake handlers? He must play with them a lot.
He saw this copperhead (or another one) a couple of weeks ago in exactly the same spot but it slithered away before he could get anything to kill it. I gave him some 22 bird shot and this time he was ready! Guess he decided to make the snake hook after the first encounter!

Back
Top Bottom