• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Confused on barrel length and/or overall length. Please help.

Gingerbeard Man

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
Fornicate around and findeth out.
445   1
Reaction score
I got to putting together a 10/22 in a HTA stock. Almost identical to the PS90. while I was at it I ordered a bull barrel, 16.5".

Here is what confuses me. The overall length is now less than 26". But the ATF states the barrel needs to be at least 16" OR an overall length of 26". The way I read that is it's one or the other.

Can someone help me out here, is it one or the other or a combination of both and if it's the latter, how is it that guns like the CMR and AK underfolders are less than 26" OAL when stock Is folded or collapsed and are still considered non-SBR rifles?

I never really intended to have an SBR so I took the barrel off until I have clear answer.

The Federal law says if you are modifying your rifle,
and want to avoid SBR status,
you must keep the overall length at 26 inch or greater
*and* you must also have a barrel of 16" or more.

Your Hard Times Armory stock makes
the rifle into a bullpup carbine,correct?
So the rear of the receiver is almost at the very end of the gun itself.
Yep, that's going to be a problem. A 16 inch barrel plus a 6" receiver ain't adding up to a long enough OAL.

ATF's rules and policies for how to measure the overall length of a gun with a folding or telescoping stock is not applicable to your situation, because your kit involves a fixed shoulder stock of a bullpup configuration.

I got to putting together a 10/22 in a HTA stock. Almost identical to the PS90. while I was at it I ordered a bull barrel, 16.5".

Here is what confuses me. The overall length is now less than 26". But the ATF states the barrel needs to be at least 16" OR an overall length of 26". The way I read that is it's one or the other.

Can someone help me out here, is it one or the other or a combination of both and if it's the latter, how is it that guns like the CMR and AK underfolders are less than 26" OAL when stock Is folded or collapsed and are still considered non-SBR rifles?

I never really intended to have an SBR so I took the barrel off until I have clear answer.
16" barrel and overall length of 26" is required.

The Federal law says if you are modifying your rifle,
and want to avoid SBR status,
you must keep the overall length at 26 inch or greater
*and* you must also have a barrel of 16" or more.

Your Hard Times Armory stock makes
the rifle into a bullpup carbine,correct?
So the rear of the receiver is almost at the very end of the gun itself.
Yep, that's going to be a problem. A 16 inch barrel plus a 6" receiver ain't adding up to a long enough OAL.

Well which is it this ⬆️⬆️⬆️ or ⤵️⤵️⤵️

if the barrel is at least 16" you have NOT created a SBR. good to go.

rules only come into play when you have a barrel under 16" and a stock.

Well, if you don't know whether to trust the attorney who wrote the gun law book or some random dude posting online,
I say ignore anything that any of us say in this ODT thread and go directly to the ATF for an answer.

They actually have a frequently asked question website that is fairly easy to understand. They don't quote the exact verbiage of the law or the regulations;
they just summarize it in a way that most people can appreciate.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/rifle-firearm-subject-nfa

Well, if you don't know whether to trust the attorney who wrote the gun law book or some random dude posting online,
I say ignore anything that any of us say in this ODT thread and go directly to the ATF for an answer.

They actually have a frequently asked question website that is fairly easy to understand. They don't quote the exact verbiage of the law or the regulations;
they just summarize it in a way that most people can appreciate.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/rifle-firearm-subject-nfa

Thank you for the link. See that's where my confusion remains. Those that are saying it would be SBR quote the rule as saying AND when it clearly defined it as OR

I swear as if collecting money for a tax stamp wasn't enough they have made it clear as mud and open to interpretation.

"A rifle is subject to the NFA only if the rifle has a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length. A weapon made from a rifle is also a firearm subject to the NFA if the weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length"

Back
Top Bottom