Conflicting Gun Law Information

talkstosquirrels

Default rank <1500 posts
ODT Junkie!
33   0
Reaction score
So let's get busy shall we?

Conflicting info:

What I have read about the gun laws in GA seems to clearly state that you may carry a "Long Gun" with no CCL, but to cary a hand gun you must have one weather it is openly carried or concealed. (So you can carry a AK strapped to your back legally with no license but not a .38 in your pocket.)

What I was told by two cops last night is that as long as the gun is "totally visible" you do not need a license to carry a handgun.

I was told by ANOTHER cop at my work, that the first statement was true but in his 20 years on service, he has never asked to see a license and as long as the individual was not dressed like a gang-banger and was not in the wrong part of town he would not do anything about it even if the individual did not have a CCL.

Personal experiences, info, stories...?

As FAQ shows here:

I Do Not Have a Firearms License. What Can I Do?

Q: I don’t have a Georgia Weapons License. Can I carry in my car?
A: Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a weapon or long gun on his or her property or inside his or her home, motor vehicle, or place of business without a valid weapons carry license. In addition, such person may carry a long gun, which must be carried openly if loaded. Moreover, such person may carry in his or her own motor vehicle. Finally, if such person is eligible for a Georgia Weapons License, he or she may carry in any private passenger motor vehicle.

Q: Can I carry in my house?
A: Yes. See above answer.

Q: Can I carry a handgun openly, without concealing it?
A: No! Georgia is one of the minority of states that requires a Georgia Weapons License to carry a handgun openly outside of your home, car, or place of business. However, any person with a valid hunting or fishing license on his or her person, or any person not required by law to have a hunting or fishing license, who is engaged in legal hunting, fishing, or sport shooting when the person has the permission of the owner of the land on which the activities are being conducted may have or carry on his or her person a handgun or long gun without a valid weapons carry license while hunting, fishing, or engaging in sport shooting.

LEOs sometimes are wrong. I was told early in my career that you could carry open without a GFL. As I am for less restrictions I never followed up. I did not realize untill about 1 year ago or so that you were supposed to have a license to carry in public for many years.

We don't just walk up to a person that is carring and ask for their license. (or should not) We should have some reason to believe that there is a law broken first. Course we could just start a conversation (most of us are gun nuts as well lol) and if it came up...

I have heard a few times that you are allowed to open carry a hand gun while hunting if the land owner says that it is ok. True?
Such as if you were bow hunting in bear country.

I have heard a few times that you are allowed to open carry a hand gun while hunting if the land owner says that it is ok. True?
Such as if you were bow hunting in bear country.

as posted above:

Q: Can I carry a handgun openly, without concealing it?
A: No! Georgia is one of the minority of states that requires a Georgia Weapons License to carry a handgun openly outside of your home, car, or place of business. However, any person with a valid hunting or fishing license on his or her person, or any person not required by law to have a hunting or fishing license, who is engaged in legal hunting, fishing, or sport shooting when the person has the permission of the owner of the land on which the activities are being conducted may have or carry on his or her person a handgun or long gun without a valid weapons carry license while hunting, fishing, or engaging in sport shooting.

Just out of curiosity and elderly man I know who is 91, has ALWAYS carried a .32 S&W revolver in his pocket, everyday and everywhere. He does not have a GWL, I tried telling him that he needed to get one just in case, his reply was "I have been carrying this same revolver in my pockets since the late 30's and no one is going to stop me now, I don't need a piece of paper saying I can"......On a side note even though he is 91 he can still shoot that little revolver VERY well for someone his age.

How much trouble would an old man like him get in if caught?

(h) (1) No person shall carry a weapon without a valid weapons carry license unless he or she meets one of the exceptions to having such license as provided in subsections (a) through (g) of this Code section.

(2) A person commits the offense of carrying a weapon without a license when he or she violates the provisions of paragraph (1) of this subsection.

(i) Upon conviction of the offense of carrying a weapon without a valid weapons carry license, a person shall be punished as follows:

(1) For the first offense, he or she shall be guilty of a misdemeanor; and

(2) For the second offense within five years, as measured from the dates of previous arrests for which convictions were obtained to the date of the current arrest for which a conviction is obtained, and for any subsequent offense, he or she shall be guilty of a felony and, upon conviction thereof, shall be imprisoned for not less than two years and not more than five years.

http://www.georgiapacking.org/GaCode/?title=16&chapter=11&section=126

Back
Top Bottom