• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Concrete Slab

Stuckon22

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Look a Man Straight in His Hairy Eyeball!
238   0
Reaction score
Need someone to pour a concrete slab approximately 27x27. For a garage. References and estimates appreciated. I am in Cherokee County. PM me if you have a reference or you are in this business.

My brother has done several driveways and a couple of garage/ workshop floors. He sometimes hires Mexican day-laborers to dig out the dirt, frame the driveway in wood, and then he calls-in a cement truck to do the pour. Hopefully a standard ready-mix truck can drive close enough to dump the stuff where it needs to go. If you have to have a pumper with a hose to reach all the areas, that's a lot more $$.

Unskilled laborers shovel and push the concrete where it needs to go and make it roughly level.

BUT THEN, he's got the concrete finishers there, too. And they do the final pushing, scraping, and vibrating to give the top surface that really smooth, professional look. This is a learned skill that takes some time to develop.

27 x 27 feet is 729 square feet of surface area.
If you're needing the slab to be 4 inches thick, that's 1/3 of a foot, so that's 243 cubic feet of volume you need. BUT, you can't count on your digging and framing to give you exactly 4" thickness everywhere. If you're going to drive on it or park vehicles in that garage, it's better to err on the side of caution and go deeper than you think you need. Say the average depth is 6 inches. So that's 365 cubic feet of concrete you need delivered and poured.

Since there are 27 cubic feet in each cubic yard, you'll need 13.5 "yards" of concrete.

OOPS, now that's a problem. I don't think that normal concrete trucks hold that much. They're more like 9 or 10 cubic yards.

If you want to get by with one ready-mix normal concrete truck worth of gray goo, you'd have to be very careful to have your depth exactly 4 inches. If you manage to do that, with no deeper spots, you'll only need 9 cubic yards. That can come in one truck.

Google says the national average cost for a load of ready-mix concrete to your jobsite is $113 per cubic yard. So that's $1,017 if you can do it with one load. If you need two trucks to bring you a load and a half, you'll probably pay $1,525 for that, and maybe an extra $150 for the second truck being loaded "short."

Back
Top Bottom