• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Conceal Carry Options for Business Attire

I did a class recently for a group of Drs. who felt the necessity to be discreetly armed due to increased levels of crime in their area (down in Atlanta). Their goal was to find a carry system that enabled them to discreetly carry a decent sized carry gun daily w/o alerting their patients of its presence.

After discussing & sampling several different methods of carry including bellybands, pocket, Kangaroo, inside the waistband, "smartcarry" (or "Thunderwear", both a form of minimalist fannypack style holster worn under their clothing), the majority settled on the Kangaroo holster w/ a minority opting for the pocket carry.
After discussing & demonstrating the negative aspects of the ankle carry, it was not even considered.

To my knowledge most of them have been daily carrying since their class concluded & are happy w/ their chosen method.
It is very important to follow rule #1 of a gunfight (or any potentially lethal encounter).... have a gun ON YOUR PERSON.

I have found that for many other men who work in a professional environment requiring suitable attire the very popular sweater vest is AWESOME. It allows the carry of a good sized firearm & accessories inside the waistband VERY discreetly.

I use it quite a bit myself when required to dress up from my normal rangewear.

Last edited:
I am 6'0 200lbs no gut, and I can carry an xd all the way up to a desert eagle (i sh*t you not) in a shoulder holster which I find to be the most comfortable with the exception that you cannot take off your jacket without disarming yourself. In situations where I am not wearing a jacket or feel I may have to take it off at some point; the seecamp fits very comfortably in my front pockets, or back pocket in a wallet holster. IWB does not work for me either, as I am constantly sit-stand-sit-stand

I am 6'0 200lbs no gut, and I can carry an xd all the way up to a desert eagle (i sh*t you not) in a shoulder holster which I find to be the most comfortable with the exception that you cannot take off your jacket without disarming yourself. In situations where I am not wearing a jacket or feel I may have to take it off at some point; the seecamp fits very comfortably in my front pockets, or back pocket in a wallet holster. IWB does not work for me either, as I am constantly sit-stand-sit-stand

IWB is not for everyone. How, where, & what a person carries is of course a very individualistic choice that no one but you can decide.
What is important is to find the method that works for you & practice drawing from it to build muscle memory so that it becomes instinctive.

Last edited:
Ive worn the Kangaroo Carry all week and can say its pretty comfortable. My CM9 really disappears and I don't have to worry about extra weight on my hip or having to buy a whole closet full of larger pants. So far, so good!! Based on that, the Undertech will probably work nicely. The KC might be a cheaper alternative to the Undertech.
Thanks for the input and good luck.
Glad to hear the Kangaroo Carry is working for you. It has worked very well for me. I wash mine every couple of days (2 to 4) with cold water in the sink with a little detergent. I let it soak for several minutes, rinse with water and then air dry over night. Ready for you in the morning. During the Summer months, which makes me perspire more, I may have to wash more often.

I have found that for many other men who work in a professional environment requiring suitable attire the very popular sweater vest is AWESOME. It allows the carry of a good sized firearm & accessories inside the waistband VERY discreetly.

I use it quite a bit myself when required to dress up from my normal rangewear.

PM, I agree with you about the sweater vest during cooler months. They work fantastic. I can easily conceal a Glock 17 or 19 worn appendix with a sweater vest. They look nice, and you certainly will not look out of place in a Business attire location.

Last edited:
If you ever consider carrying it in a bag and not on your person, there are bags out there specifically designed for carrying concealed. As a female that's 5'10" and trim that doesn't often wear loose, baggy clothes, carrying on my person is merely impossible. I bought a purse (I know you wouldn't consider that particular choice of bag lol) that has a pocket built into the side to hold my G26 (it comes with a universal holster that will fit just about any weapon and can be adjusted in the pocket as both sides are velcro and the holster has velcro strips on both sides so that it is exactly where you want it to be able to grab it). It goes with me everywhere. I don't know if they make computer or travel/business-type bags in the same manner, but may also be something to look into for business occasions. No one knows my G26 is in my purse and if I need to find something in any of the main compartments, the gun is never revealed. A bag would prevent you from ruining any of your business attire and you'd be seen as simply carrying business materials and sales literature. Just a thought! :D

I'm going to chime in with what I'm sure will be a derisive suggestion. If you are talking business attire, one option is to up your game in style and concealment and add a sport coat to your wardrobe. It can conceal most any options for carry. Everyone looks classier in a sport coat.

Now I'm sure a host of people will say this is not feasible because we live in the South. My response to that is men, have become wimps. Take it from someone who wore suits everyday for a decade in Tampa and Orlando; it is not so hot in Atlanta that a guy will not pass out from putting on a jacket upon leaving his car and waking to a building. Buildings in ATL are kept cold enough in the summer that a summer sport coat is not a burden at all.

There is plenty of talk about comfort vs carry in this thread -- consider a sport coat just one more option in that equation.

Back
Top Bottom