• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Conceal Carry Options for Business Attire

As someone who has struggled with concealed carry for years, especially in business attire, I feel your pain. While I will not recommned you follow my lead, I hope you will consider my thoughts. I am 6'3", and weigh around 250. If I wear an IWB, it appears that I have a growth on my hip. OC was not an option. I found the ankle holsters cumbersome, just my opinion, but they did not feel right. Trying to pocket carry my chosen carry gun, was again, not a good option. Someone else mentioned that if your carry is not comfortable, you will not carry. That was true for me. I started not to carry at all. In order to carry, I had to change my carry gun. I went with a smaller revolver in a Blackhawk 3 pocket holster. I can place it in either my front or back pocket and no one notices. My pocket carry actually fits better in my front pocket of dress pants. The rear pocket, on some of my dress pants, is just a bit too shallow to completely hide the grip. With the pocket holster, my carry piece does not print in the front pocket. Maybe, you should re-consider what you carry if you cannot get comfortable with what you have. Just a suggestion and not putting down the other options. I hope you find a way to carry, because you should.

Hi, drguns, welcome to the brotherhood. I'm also a tall professional with no gut. 6ft 1in, 190 lbs, and I've faced many of the same problems as you describe. I cc a ruger LCP in my front pocket of my wool slacks (loose fitting but comfortably cut in the waist) which have permanent pleats in the front. The pistol doesn't really print at all, and even inside my tiny, leather Galco holster it's basically invisible. I do wear a blazer / coat all the time. I can slip virtually any pistol in the inside breast pocket of this blazer. I carry my Glock 27 in this manner on some days, then on others, I'll switch it out for a Taurus M85. I never let anyone touch my belongings or hand me my coat, so it's never and issue. Even if someone did notice the weight, I can always says its my cell phone and belt-clip in the pocket. Such gadgets are plentiful and large enough for that story to be convincing. Moreover, I work in a very liberal environment, in which "concealed gun" is the LAST thing anyone would think I have in that slightly weighted-down pocket. A blazer is definitely the white collar professional's friend when it comes to concealed carry.

Hope this helps, brother, and welcome to the ODT

Best,
Grendel_1909

I had the same issue here. I carry a CM9 or a G19 when convenient and dress appropriate, but often am in dress clothes and really, really need to be discrete. My best solution is a P3AT pocket carry for when the Glock or Kahr doesn't work for me. It is like a cellphone in the front or back pocket and there has never been a situation where if I could carry a wallet or phone that I couldn't carry the P3AT and not be detected (and virtually unnoticed by me). Some folks don't like the "mouse" guns, but I keep it loaded with 7 rds of .380 HPs and can put all seven in a pie plate at 7 yards in a semi-rapid fire so I feel pretty secure carrying it for defense. And after a break-in period, it has been flawless through hundreds of rounds.

Last edited:
I too am in the larger category about 6'2" 210 pounds and I've tried IWB, OWB hip, small of back, cross-draw, etc. and just can't stand the bulk and weight of anything larger than my LCP hanging on my dress pants, or even jeans, and I barely have the butt to hold up my pants much less a weighty gun. I even find my Springfield EMP feeling heavy on my hip. I also wear dress shirts (usually with a sport coat) every day. Sooooo, I've ordered an Undertech holster shirt and we'll see how that goes. If it fits securely I think my larger upper body frame will definitely handle the bulk better than my waist. I'll let you know how it turns out.

I'm not a big fan of ankle holsters and know a guy who had his ass handed to him while carrying on his ankle. A couple of guys jumped him and every time he reached for his pistol one of the bad guys kicked him in the face. I've always said I can't imagine a life threatening situation where I will be grabbing my ankles. :)Ankle holsters have their place as a backup for drawing from a car seat, but I wouldn't use one as a primary if I could avoid it.

A LC9 or LCP in a pocket holster is better than nothing.

I too am in the larger category about 6'2" 210 pounds and I've tried IWB, OWB hip, small of back, cross-draw, etc. and just can't stand the bulk and weight of anything larger than my LCP hanging on my dress pants, or even jeans, and I barely have the butt to hold up my pants much less a weighty gun. I even find my Springfield EMP feeling heavy on my hip. I also wear dress shirts (usually with a sport coat) every day. Sooooo, I've ordered an Undertech holster shirt and we'll see how that goes. If it fits securely I think my larger upper body frame will definitely handle the bulk better than my waist. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Ive worn the Kangaroo Carry all week and can say its pretty comfortable. My CM9 really disappears and I don't have to worry about extra weight on my hip or having to buy a whole closet full of larger pants. So far, so good!! Based on that, the Undertech will probably work nicely. The KC might be a cheaper alternative to the Undertech.
Thanks for the input and good luck.

Back
Top Bottom