• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Conceal Carry Options for Business Attire

drguns

Default rank <100 posts
Hunter
4   0
Reaction score
Newnan, approx 40 miles south of ATL off of I-85
I'm new to ODT and wanted to share my experience and frustration with conceal carry options for business attire. I'm an outside sales rep and travel to some sketchy parts of town and want to carry. My normal attire is a button down dress shirt tucked in with flat front pants and I rarely if ever wear a coat, even in the coldest of temps. I'm a big guy, 6'4" and about 240lb with really no gut. My EDC is a Kahr CM9. I tried a few tuckable IWB's and it was not for me. I do not want to wear pants 2 sizes too big and look like I have a tumor growing from my side. A pocket holster was a consideration, but I just didn't like the "look" of having something so bulky in my front pocket.
After much searching I came to the conclusion that there are really only two options for me, SmartCarry and Kangaroo Carry.
The SmartCarry set-up allows me to carry the CM9 completely concealed, even with regular fitting flat front dress pants. I have to carry it a little higher than they recommend to keep the butt of the gun from printing, but it really isn't a problem either way. Most people are not looking at your crotch (Shocking I know!!!) so even if it prints a little it doesn't draw much attention. The draw is fast enough and because of the long DAO trigger on the CM9, I don't really worry about losing any man parts. Now I know many will talk about re-holstering being an issue. For me, the main thing is to get to my gun when I need it. I'm happy to stick it in my pocket later if needed.
Kangaroo Carry is another option that I actually tend to favor a little more. It's probably because its a little more comfortable than having the gun riding shotgun with my crotch all day. Because of the size of the CM9, the gun really disappears under my arm and I don't worry about it printing all that much. The downside is the draw, which requires you to ruin a perfectly good dress shirt. With that said, I'm happy to do so in the event my life is in danger. Get passed that, and you can get to your gun fast enough to be effective.
I would welcome any other options I may have missed. For me, the greatest advantage of both the SmartCarry and Kanagroo Carry is that you don't have to lose 20lbs or go buy larger size clothes to make concealment work.
Happy shooting!!!

I worked for a Fortune 500 company as head of their Security and Risk Management for a number of years. Carried a Mustang Pocketlite on my ankle and a Glock 40 caliber in my computer bag. I modified the computer bag allowing me to insert a ballistic panel in it. Sat in the board room for many a meeting with no one the wiser. ( I was authorized to carry by Corporate attorney but saw no need to advertize the fact I did )

Do you carry to be comfortable or for your security? Just saying its not supposed to be comfortable it's supposed to be comforting.

If you aren't comfortable you won't carry. I've seen many post/articles where people don't carry because its not comfortable and with all of the carry options out there theres no reason why it can't be.

Do you carry to be comfortable or for your security? Just saying its not supposed to be comfortable it's supposed to be comforting.

Neither SmartCarry or Kangaroo Carry is what I would consider totally comfortable but they work with the way I have to dress. Because of my business, I need to look professional and having a bulky pocket holster or a baggy shirt to hide a IWB holster just looks sloppy IMO.

Kangaroo Carrier here with a Glock 19 when I have to be dressed in Business attire with tucked in shirt. I also wear it with my tux for parties, and with tucked in polo shirts in the Summer. With a Sport coat or Blazer on, it is damn near impossible to detect.

Back
Top Bottom