• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Composite Cartridges under serious consideration by U.S. Army

It'll be interesting to see what the compatibility is for conventional rounds. I can see anyone with an eye on the civilian market would want the technology to be backward compatible, or there really wouldn't be much of a market. Additionally, the military might require it; makes sense in an emergency situation.

I'm not sure that manufacturers actually care much about the civilian market for these specialty rounds. From what I remember reading all these are very high pressure, so even making them possible to chamber in a regular gun would be an invitation to a lawsuit.

And any ammo company would be more than happy enough to take the military contract for producing these rounds just for them, with no civilian sales at all.

Still, you probably will have some overlap. SIG's entry, the 277 Fury is aimed at both civilian and military use. I'm not sure is there's any plan for that with the other rounds being considered though.

The U.S Army’s next-generation squad weapon program is experimenting with composite-cased 6.8 mm ammunition, which may help lighten soldiers’ loads.
What? have we gone full candy-A$$ in the military?
https://www.nationaldefensemagazine...y-taking-serious-look-at-composite-cartridges

truevelocity6.ashx

Back
Top Bottom