• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Complete Internet Shutdown??

jcountry

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
13   0
Reaction score
I listen to an enterprise tech podcast.

These guys were doing near and long-term predictions.

One near term prediction in particular struck me. They say that (probably this year) some kind of state-level adversary will use AI Malware to attack the Internet. They also said it will probably go beyond their intent once it gets loose.

The more I think about this, the more likely it seems. (Maybe this year, but if not-then over the course of the next couple of years.)

What do y’all think the Implications would be if all internet access over a region were shut down for a week or a month? The more I think about how much stuff works through the Internet, the more inconvenient this possibility seems..... Not as bad as the entire grid going down, but definitely a big PITA.

Most transportation companies do everything online, and the railyards are all computerized so all of that would come to a standstill, at least for a while, and I'm not even sure those systems could go back to the older localized systems before too much damage was done to recover from.

Grocery stores have what? 3 days worth of food on the shelves?

I listen to an enterprise tech podcast.

These guys were doing near and long-term predictions.

One near term prediction in particular struck me. They say that (probably this year) some kind of state-level adversary will use AI Malware to attack the Internet. They also said it will probably go beyond their intent once it gets loose.

The more I think about this, the more likely it seems. (Maybe this year, but if not-then over the course of the next couple of years.)

What do y’all think the Implications would be if all internet access over a region were shut down for a week or a month? The more I think about how much stuff works through the Internet, the more inconvenient this possibility seems..... Not as bad as the entire grid going down, but definitely a big PITA.

Because most of it is maintained by private companies and it's distributed, taking down the entire internet in the US is pretty difficult. That being said, much of that private connectivity and ISP interconnects are concentrated in a few places regionally (Atlanta being one of those). Knocking out a region and causing slowdowns for bordering regions as the traffic is routed around it is pretty easy. Knock out the connectivity for a big shipping hub and things would get bad for a bit.

china has tried to shut down the internet for it's people but the Chinese people just use hacks and home-made ways around the blocks/outages. the internet is far more difficult to shut down at this point for any main power to succeed

Back
Top Bottom