• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Combat knife

Always been a fan of the Gerber MK II (or any Fairbairn Sykes knife). But if I have to resort to knife, I've made a serious mistake somewhere. I don't operate.

gerber-mark-ii-double-serr-22-01874.jpg

Your budget is a factor since knives can be as expensive as guns, but it is worth noting that you do not have to spend $500 for a good knife. You can spend less than $100, in fact.

For a fighting knife, primarily, I would recommend at least a 5" blade for a chest rig, molle attached, non concealed blade. Weight, handle and blade design, thickness, sharpness, and on and on...I have a few hundred fighting knives but I am a lifelong collector, and in reality I only need one or two that will be very adequate and will last.

Nothing wrong with the Kabar. It is very utilitarian and is a proven tool. I love Kabars, personally, and have used them many times over the years for a multitude of tasks.

Welcome to the rabbit hole. No one knife is perfect for everything, same as guns. My personal opinion is find one of good quality, that feels good in your hand, has enough blade, and holds a good edge, then spend time with it to really get to know it.

Oh yeah, and blade show is this weekend at the Galleria. It is the largest knife show in the world and comes to Atl every year. We are fortunate to have it here. If you attend you can browse thousands of knives to get a good idea of what you really want/need. Prices can be high at Blade, but you can always fondle and then buy online for less at a later date. Just a thought.

Regardless which knife you choose, I've found SpecOps Brand makes the finest sheaths around. But, again, I don't operate.

https://specops.us/knife-sheaths.html

View attachment 2149983

I have 2 Spec Ops sheaths and they are decent, but I dont really care for the hanging belt loops. They are simple enough to attach to molle with a paracord, and retention is good when the chosen knife is a good fit.

Sheaths are yet another rabbit hole entirely. I like it when the knife I purchase comes with an adequate, acceptable sheath.

I have 2 Spec Ops sheaths and they are decent, but I dont really care for the hanging belt loops. They are simple enough to attach to molle with a paracord, and retention is good when the chosen knife is a good fit.

Sheaths are yet another rabbit hole entirely. I like it when the knife I purchase comes with an adequate, acceptable sheath.
That's more or less what I was looking for a sheath and a good knife that fits molle.

Back
Top Bottom