• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Colt 1911 slide

Red Rex

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
13   0
Reaction score
I have a CMP 1911, Remington Rand frame and colt slide. I can look up the age of the frame ,1944, by the serial number. How can I determine the vintage of the Colt slide that is on it?

A Remington Rand slide will have

Remington Rand
Syracuse NY

Stamped on the side of it,

Remington Rands did not come with Colt slides.

Below is from coolgunsite.com as was referred to me by joe in post #2. It says colt slides were used on Remington Rands. From that article is where I thought my pistol came from the factory that way. In addition there are no 2 letter armory stamps indicating a rebuild on my gun

Remington Rand was awarded its first order on March 16th, 1942, for a total of 125,000 1911A1 pistols. The company had no experience building pistols at the time it was awarded the contract. Remington Rand formed a new division (Remington Rand "C" Division) to take charge of building the pistols. Remington Rand "C" Division converted a vacant plant into a modern pistol manufacturing facility. The plant was located on Dickerson street in Syracuse, N.Y and was once used for building typewriters,

Initially some manufacturing equipment was not available. This caused Remington Rand to acquire parts from other sources to complete the early pistols. They purchased barrels from High Standard, Colt, and Springfield Armory; Disconnectors from US&S; Grips safeties from Colt; and Slide stops from Colt and Springfield Armory (2,865 left over from WWI). Remington Rand "C" Division inherited much of the documentation, tooling, and machinery that originally was used by The Singer Manufacturing Co. in their Educational Order. Consequently some of the parts of the early pistols were made using Singer supplied tooling and fixtures. Careful examination of Early Remington Rand pistols will reveal striking similarities in some of the parts to Singer made parts such as the triggers and mainspring housings. The first 255 production pistols where accepted by ordinance inspectors in November of 1942.

Initial shipments appeared to perform satisfactorily, but subsequent tests performed by Ordnance Inspectors revealed serious problems with parts interchangeability. In March 1943 James Rand Jr., stopped production due to a high rate of Parts Interchangeability Test failures. Only after a change in management and a thorough review of the inspection and manufacturing operations was production finally resumed in May of 1943. Throughout production Remington Rand aggressively attempted to innovate and improve the production of 1911A1 pistols.

By March of 1945 they where building the lowest price pistol in the war effort and quality was considered second to none. By the end of the war Remington Rand had produced over 875,000 pistols, almost as many as Colt (628,808) and Ithaca (335,467) combined. Reference Charles Clawsons “Colt .45 Service pistols”.

Early RR may have had Colt barrels, disconnectors, or slide stops. It never mentions slides. All Remington Rand pistols would have had slides marked as Remington Rand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom