• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

College football ruined?

The year the got pitted against Auburn in a bowl game was the year they went undefeated and everyone wanted them to play Bama to see if they were actually that good or were just lucky. They smoked Auburn in that bowl game and was one of the driving factors in why there should be an expanded playoff. So at large teams like that have a chance to be there instead of the blue bloods who cake walk into the playoff (Clemson, Ohio St, ND, Oklahoma)
Blaze, I can't tell if you're being serious or not but I'll go with not. Yes they were undefeated in 2017 and played a THREE loss Auburn team and beat then by one TD and they had to score TWICE in the 4th quarter to pull it out. They would have gotten humiliated playing any of the top 4 teams and rightfully were not in the playoffs. They even stayed undefeated the entire next year until they met a THREE loss mediocre LSU team that summarily dismissed them beating them by 15 until they gave up a junk time (2 minute) TD to still beat them by 8. Heck look at the stats. https://www.espn.com/college-football/matchup?gameId=401032084 It was embarrassing. Again, that was against a mediocre team.
Nobody who knows anything about college football believes UCF was one of the 2 best teams in the country in either of their 'undefeated' seasons or any other time for that matter.
College football is not basketball or baseball. In either of those sports 'upsets' are more likely. Yes upsets happen in football (of course) but it's a game of size, strength, and speed. The players with those attributes go to play for who they perceive as the best. Those that aren't that good can't.
UCF/Boise St. will continue to be big fish in little ponds. There is no problem with that until an illusion of grandeur comes into play.
This isn't hating on UCF or any other second (or third or fourth) tier team. I think it's great those athletes have an opportunity to play competitive ball and against like competition. The NCAA playoffs are not like competition. Kids are going to get hurt and careers ended, for no reason (except egos).

I wanted to see the best 6 teams total. Maybe 8 at the most and that's probably too many.

12 is going too far - just making sure the TV rating go up, for more games and teams sell lots of tickets.

iu

Blaze, I can't tell if you're being serious or not but I'll go with not. Yes they were undefeated in 2017 and played a THREE loss Auburn team and beat then by one TD and they had to score TWICE in the 4th quarter to pull it out. They would have gotten humiliated playing any of the top 4 teams and rightfully were not in the playoffs. They even stayed undefeated the entire next year until they met a THREE loss mediocre LSU team that summarily dismissed them beating them by 15 until they gave up a junk time (2 minute) TD to still beat them by 8. Heck look at the stats. https://www.espn.com/college-football/matchup?gameId=401032084 It was embarrassing. Again, that was against a mediocre team.
Nobody who knows anything about college football believes UCF was one of the 2 best teams in the country in either of their 'undefeated' seasons or any other time for that matter.
College football is not basketball or baseball. In either of those sports 'upsets' are more likely. Yes upsets happen in football (of course) but it's a game of size, strength, and speed. The players with those attributes go to play for who they perceive as the best. Those that aren't that good can't.
UCF/Boise St. will continue to be big fish in little ponds. There is no problem with that until an illusion of grandeur comes into play.
This isn't hating on UCF or any other second (or third or fourth) tier team. I think it's great those athletes have an opportunity to play competitive ball and against like competition. The NCAA playoffs are not like competition. Kids are going to get hurt and careers ended, for no reason (except egos).

Then why even play the games? Why not just put the same 4 teams in and not even have a regular season? Honestly if we cant give these one hit wonders a chance to shock the world why even bother playing

Haven't you ever heard "any given Saturday"? UF lost to GA southern of all teams. You think Bama and LSU can't lose? I seem to recall UL Lafayette beat Bama in Sabans first season. Hell Florida beat GA one year and threw 6 passes. ANYTHING can happen on a Saturday. You sound more afraid that LSWho will lose to a FCS team than anything. They are playing a gladiator sport, injuries happen. If they don't want to get hurt then play something else.

Haven't you ever heard "any given Saturday"? UF lost to GA southern of all teams. You think Bama and LSU can't lose? I seem to recall UL Lafayette beat Bama in Sabans first season. Hell Florida beat GA one year and threw 6 passes. ANYTHING can happen on a Saturday. You sound more afraid that LSWho will lose to a FCS team than anything. They are playing a gladiator sport, injuries happen. If they don't want to get hurt then play something else.
Because its not always the same 4. Yes anything "can" happen but rarely does, for a reason. I know what, since anything "can" happen, lets have 125 team playoff! Why not?

Because its not always the same 4. Yes anything "can" happen but rarely does, for a reason. I know what, since anything "can" happen, lets have 125 team playoff! Why not?
Then why are you so against a 8, 12, or 16 team playoff? Literally EVERY sport uses a bracket style playoff except FBS CFB. Even D2 uses it and it works great. These conference championship games are about pointless. It's about like getting a divisional pennant in MLB. Yea it's nice but doesn't mean much if you don't win the championship

Then why are you so against a 8, 12, or 16 team playoff? Literally EVERY sport uses a bracket style playoff except FBS CFB. Even D2 uses it and it works great. These conference championship games are about pointless. It's about like getting a divisional pennant in MLB. Yea it's nice but doesn't mean much if you don't win the championship
Because as I've explained, its not basketball. And in D1, there is the top tier in the power 5, and everybody else. No, the conference championship means plenty as that's where the rivalries are. Are you even a fan? :confused:

Because as I've explained, its not basketball. And in D1, there is the top tier in the power 5, and everybody else. No, the conference championship means plenty as that's where the rivalries are. Are you even a fan? :confused:
You haven't explained anything other than you believe the few elites schools in the country should even be considered for the title game. Hell just move Clemson, Bama, Ohio state, Oklahoma, ND, and Georgia into their own division for the title. Because no one else has a snowballs chance to get in. Maybe like 4 other schools have a shot year in and year out but that's it.
What rivalries? You play your cross division rival in the regular season. Bama and UF/UGA isn't a rivalry. Bamas only east division rival is Tenn. LSUs only east rival is Florida.

You haven't explained anything other than you believe the few elites schools in the country should even be considered for the title game. Hell just move Clemson, Bama, Ohio state, Oklahoma, ND, and Georgia into their own division for the title. Because no one else has a snowballs chance to get in. Maybe like 4 other schools have a shot year in and year out but that's it.
What rivalries? You play your cross division rival in the regular season. Bama and UF/UGA isn't a rivalry. Bamas only east division rival is Tenn. LSUs only east rival is Florida.
You think ND and Oklahoma are generally one of the top 4 teams? Lol. We're done.
Here's to UCF getting humiliated every year. :yo:

Back
Top Bottom