• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

College football ruined?

You want losing to mean something? Like when Bama lost to LSU in the regular season then got put in title game anyway and then beat LSU? Did it mean anything then? Losing only means something if you're not Bama, Ohio St, or Clemson. They can all lose a game and still get in over an undefeated team. Everyone in the country wanted to see UCF go against the best of the power 5 but that meant leaving a blue blood out of the title game. An expanded playoff will fix the title race in CFB.
"Everyone in the country wanted to see UCF go against the best of the power 5"?
If by "everyone" you mean UCF fans and maybe SEC haters, then yes, I agree.
A good UCF team took their TWENTY FIVE game win streak to play a mediocre 3 loss LSU in the final game the following year. UCF was mad about it and still crying that they were/should be national champs. They were sent home with an "L" and a reality check.
The simple truth is the disparity in D1 is so big that there simply aren't 12 teams worthy of competing for the NC. All this is going to do is get some kids hurt and careers ended that otherwise wouldn't have been.
There's a reason the SEC west champ is always in the discussion and the UCFs and Boise States of the world are not. Its not the same game.

"Everyone in the country wanted to see UCF go against the best of the power 5"?
If by "everyone" you mean UCF fans and maybe SEC haters, then yes, I agree.
A good UCF team took their TWENTY FIVE game win streak to play a mediocre 3 loss LSU in the final game the following year. UCF was mad about it and still crying that they were/should be national champs. They were sent home with an "L" and a reality check.
The simple truth is the disparity in D1 is so big that there simply aren't 12 teams worthy of competing for the NC. All this is going to do is get some kids hurt and careers ended that otherwise wouldn't have been.
There's a reason the SEC west champ is always in the discussion and the UCFs and Boise States of the world are not. Its not the same game.
The year they were undefeated and everyone wanted to see their true ability, they got pinned against Auburn in a bowl game and beat the **** out of them.

If they have a long playoff stretch, I wonder how many top athletes in their final seasons will opt out. The SEC championship game is pretty much the pinnacle of the college football season, I think, so it won't bother me.

He said the "best of the power 5". What does that have to do with Auburn?
The year the got pitted against Auburn in a bowl game was the year they went undefeated and everyone wanted them to play Bama to see if they were actually that good or were just lucky. They smoked Auburn in that bowl game and was one of the driving factors in why there should be an expanded playoff. So at large teams like that have a chance to be there instead of the blue bloods who cake walk into the playoff (Clemson, Ohio St, ND, Oklahoma)

Back
Top Bottom