• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

College football ruined?

Playoff will expand to 12 teams. 6 highest ranked conference champs. Plus 6 at large. Top 4 ranked champs get bye. 5-8 host home playoff game. Quarterfinal and semi final games at neutral site/bowl games.

personally I hate it. It will make teams like Alabama, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, Georgia, Florida, Clemson, LSU virtually impossible to eliminate before the playoff. Dawgs lose in Tuscaloosa? Don’t matter you’re in. Blown out in Jacksonville. No bother. You’re in. Bayou Bengals beat Bama in T Town? Don’t worry Bama. You made it.
I agree, not a fan. An 8 team play off with no byes would have been fine. Traditional 8 vs 1, 7 vs 2 etc format for first round.

Wouldn't be surprised now if some conferences eliminate their championships. I mean an 11 game schedule has most contenders showing up as the walking wounded. Imagine 15+? games. And are they going to start in August and finish in February? :wacko: Maybe they'll drop some of the non-conference stuff which is really a shame for those small schools since that's how virtually all of them fund their programs. :tsk:

But since they've started with the whole "let them get paid" lunacy, it's hard to argue now that it is not just the NFL lite. And everybody knows how much that sucks. At this point don't like half the nfl teams make their playoff? And even if they have a sub .500 record? Maybe I'm wrong but seems like all pro sports are basically like that. EVERYBODY need a trophy. (OK, I looked, 14 out of 32, so not half. Only 44% :rolleyes: )

I know it's been mostly about money for a long time but it is a shame to see any pretense of the heritage of the game remain.
I guess the Boise State's and UCF's of the world are happy. Now they'll be able to get their rear ends handed to them on national television every year instead of just when the collective gets tired of hearing their incessant crying.

Playoff will expand to 12 teams. 6 highest ranked conference champs. Plus 6 at large. Top 4 ranked champs get bye. 5-8 host home playoff game. Quarterfinal and semi final games at neutral site/bowl games.

personally I hate it. It will make teams like Alabama, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, Georgia, Florida, Clemson, LSU virtually impossible to eliminate before the playoff. Dawgs lose in Tuscaloosa? Don’t matter you’re in. Blown out in Jacksonville. No bother. You’re in. Bayou Bengals beat Bama in T Town? Don’t worry Bama. You made it.
You mean kinda like it is now?

I want losing to mean something. In this new system. Losing doesn’t mean anything. Georgia would have made the last 4 playoffs under this system. Losing in 2018 to Bama in the SECCG wouldve meant nothing. Same in 2019 to LSU. They’d have made it in 2020 as well. Same with Florida. Losing to the Dawgs in 2018 and 2019 meant nothing in regards to the national picture.
You want losing to mean something? Like when Bama lost to LSU in the regular season then got put in title game anyway and then beat LSU? Did it mean anything then? Losing only means something if you're not Bama, Ohio St, or Clemson. They can all lose a game and still get in over an undefeated team. Everyone in the country wanted to see UCF go against the best of the power 5 but that meant leaving a blue blood out of the title game. An expanded playoff will fix the title race in CFB.

With more games, there will be significantly more injuries.
The tougher conferences (particularly the SEC) already suffer more injuries during the regular season.
Perhaps some teams/conferences will play lighter schedules to stretch out the players' availability.

Yes, this will change the game.

Back
Top Bottom