• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Collapsible Baton

Good non-lethal go to. But if you use it as trained, you're pretty much guaranteed to get sued civilly same as any other situation where you used an object to strike someone. Elbows and knees will mess someone up pretty good. I've seen some devastating forearm bone breaks from suspects trying to stop the strikes with their arms. A straight strike to the solar plexus (closed or open baton) will drop pretty much anyone.

Naturally, any strike to the head or neck area will be considered you using the instrument to it's most damaging potential (deadly force) so justification would need to be present.

https://www.asp-usa.com/collections/sentry

If I were to carry one of these as a civilian, I'd spring for the push button unlock ones. The friction lock ones having to be slammed on the ground just kinda sucks. Here's what I 100% know: DO NOT settle for a "flea market" baton. If you didn't drop close to a benjamin, you didn't get a quality weapon. Asps are durable.

If you're seriously considering carrying one of these things, yes, they are "nonlethal," but will still carry an agg assault charge, even if no-billed. But that's the risk, I reckon. You can learn how to effectively open / deploy by watching some youtube videos and giving it a few minutes of playtime in your back yard; most of the formal training on these things focuses on "nonlethal" strike zones moreso than how to actually utilize the tool as a self defense weapon. In the civilian world, treat it like you would a lead pipe and you probably win.

Sure, it CAN break bones, but most likely you're going to find that pain compliance is your edge if you have to use the thing, and pain compliance simply doesn't work against a determined / under the influence opponent intent to cause you harm. Also, whomever you hit with it, after the initial shock of being struck, is likely to close within grapple distance and then the thing just becomes something you have to worry about keeping control over as they attempt to snatch it from you. At least if they're trying to grab your firearm, you're likely to get at least one shot off in a contact situation before a malfunction is forced, and that might be enough.

I personally wouldn't carry one of these. I never liked them, they're heavy, they sit uncomfortably, and any situation I'd find myself in as a civilian where I have to use one of these can probably best be solved by either shooting someone or simply freaking leaving.

The bust-out-a-window explanation aint bad, but it's likely that scenario would unfold near your vehicle anyway, and if you're like me, there's all kindsa stuff in my truck I can use to break out a window that doesn't require me spending this $100 and gaining an extra 2 pounds on my belt.

Some time back, I guess around 2000 or so, a friend from out of state was staying downtown Atlanta and one night after dark was strolling down the streets carrying a short, black pushbutton umbrella in one hand. Two Atlanta officers approached him and forced him to show them that what he had was indeed an umbrella and not an ASP or similar device. They indicated such an item was illegal and that they would have arrested him. It unnerved him for a few minutes, but later as he replayed it in his mind, he was able to laugh nervously about it. Thanks.

I had one before I was 18. Mostly a novelty. With that said, my brother is a trained, genuine swordsman. When we practice with bokken and things like that IT HURTS. There is a lot of viability in a melee weapon. A feller who is fool enough to bother you empty handed should certainly change his mind when fists VS baton is on the menu.

I worry a lot about legalities. God Forbid you have to use the thing. There was some case where a like pocket whip type thing was used and the defender got in trouble.

You want a quality steel 26 inch Smith and Wesson Batton. Avoid cheap Chinese steel for 25 and under you hit somebody with that 1 time it will bend permanently.

My chief strategy for winning a fight is avoidance altogether. Should that not be a possibility it will be because I fear for my life or the life of others and have no other option. That being the case if they are close enough to smite them with a stick they will be close enough to shoot.

Try as I might, I just can't seem to come up with a scenario where I use the baton.

At my age if I get into a fisticuff, it is already over.

Any scenarios you can think of?

Back
Top Bottom